Bad Back Observing Chair?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Can anyone recommend an observing chair for the usual L5-S1 slipped disc bad back? Regular chairs and stools kill me, I don't like wood seats and I now stand most of the time. I need good vertical range as I use scopes from SCTs to refractors. Thanks for any recommendations,help, advice or experience. ;)

#2 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

Have you tried something like the Stardust. I have similar back problems, and having a wide range of adjustable heights helps. Unfortunately, the weight does not.

#3 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I also have back issues, and was thinking about building a chair with a curved padded leaning post on the front; it would be kind of like sitting on a barstool backwards, which I've done and seems more comfortable to me. Under the padded post I'd put a narrow tray for small items. It should not be to difficult build or modify a chair this way, and the tray would be a great convenience.

#4 Paul G

Paul G

Aurora

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

I have a bad back and the Starbound chair is comfortable for me. It also has a huge range of height adjustment.

#5 Doc Bob

Doc Bob

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

T.R.,
+1 for the StarDust chair !!

Bob

#6 Odell

Odell

Explorer 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Another +1 for the Stardust from an ailing back. An added benefit is no SDS (Sudden Descending Syndrome). :p

#7 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Terry,

I'm sorry to hear about your back issues. I had surgery on my back this past fall (L2-3 and L3-4) and was out of action for a couple months.

I use several chairs, depending on what scope I'm using and what I plan to observe.

My main chair is the Starbound. Infinite adjustment and it has never slipped on me once in the five years I have owned it. I am on my fifth set of rubber feet and I hope this chair lasts as long as I do.

However, right after my operation, I wanted something with a taller back. It wasn't so much that I needed it all the time, but I wanted something to lean back against when I took my breaks. So I odered a Catsperch and it also works well. It doesn't have the infinite adjustment like the Starbound, but the notches are close enough that I've never had to worry about it. The Catsperch is a little heavier and quite a bit taller than the Starbound, so keep that in mind if you are loading things into a car.

I hope your back feels better soon!

Ron

#8 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

My bad back (same as yours-5th MRI just today) grumble at just about everything but so far it has never complained about my Stardust chair. I have padded the back of the Stardust. When my back does grumble I go sit in an office chair I have and it always makes it feel better. The office chair has good lower back support and is adjustable up/down and could probably be used for viewing though it range would be a bit limited. I could PM images that might provide useful info on the back support aspect if you want.

#9 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

this may sound stupid at first but, turning my chair (mine are stardust and cats perch) around bacwards and leaning forward against the back of the chair while looking through the EP can help. I discovered this when using the cats perch on the upper limits. the perch is easier to mount up on backwards. YMMV

Theo

#10 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

I usually use a denver chair, but made the uprights 4' instead. this helps being able to have a back to the chair for leaning back. Also gives me a good sky view for meteor showers. I also use a cervical pillow to pad the seat and for a bit of warmth.

also if my back is really bad, I just observe with my 4 wheeled walker that has a seat.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics