• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fernando jorge

fernando jorge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Montevideo, Uruguay

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

HI! I have CPC800 and until now i've been using it mostly for visual observing and planetary AP, so no wedge was needed. This weekend i plan to attach the wedge to the mount and try my first polar align (southern hemisphere, 34º S) and autoguiding with PHD software.

Those who use wedge and do autoguiding, have any tips or small suggestions that could help me? I'd really appreciate any info, in order to achieve a successful autoguide and the consecuent long exposure capability.

Fernando

#2 btieman

btieman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

If you have all-sky polar align--USE IT :)

1) don't bother with a eyepiece. Do a twostarequitorialalignment with your camera. Place the star asclosetocenter ofthechip as reasonable.

2) Use all-star polar alignment. Pick a star as close to straight south as you can and between 30-50 degrees altitude. I've found picking stars as close to straight south gives the best alignment plus the wedge adjustments move the star in intuitive directions on the CCD--ie: alt adjust moves the star close to straight up/down, as adjust close to straight left/right.

Doing this, I can typically fully align my CPC1100 in under 10 minutes with no need to polar align for 20 minute exposures :)

#3 fernando jorge

fernando jorge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Montevideo, Uruguay

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Thanks!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics