• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 exitar01

exitar01

Explorer 1

• *----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Az

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Alright so I live in the city if Phoenix, AZ and wanted to know first: Are their any members here that live near or in PHoenix Metro area? And where can I go that's close to the city to get the darkest skies? :bow:

#2 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

I am sure that Phoenix has at least one astronomy club.

#3 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Easy. Explore these web sites;

http://www.eastvalleyastronomy.org

http://www.saguaroastro.org

They are the two premier clubs in the universe ... well, at least the Phoenix metro area.

Arizona Ken

#4 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Just NW of Seligman on the 66 is black.

#5 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

I live in Phoenix, too, and just outside of Wickenburg has fairly dark skies. (Wickenburg itself recently passed a dark-sky ordinance, too.) Once a month, there is a public-outreach star party at a spot a few miles outside the town called Sophie's Flat. This spot is on Bureau of Land Management territory, so if you don't want to do the public outreach, you can still go there. Check in the Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties thread. And ADOT even recently repaved most of Highway 74, so the drive on that road is less bone-rattling than it used to be! :jump:

Rboe and rocco13 are two other members in this area.

#6 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

I go camping at Lost Dutchman State park and the skies to the north, east and somewhat south are pretty good. West is right over PHX, so not so good there.

Also I go up to Dead Horse Ranch State park in Cottonwood and that is pretty dark too.

#7 abaum

abaum

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

The East Valley Astronomy Club meets out at the Picket Post trailhead for it's dark sky meetup. It's on the way to Boyce Thompson Arboretum.

http://evaconline.org/sp.html

#8 aznights

aznights

Explorer 1

• Loc: Glendale, AZ

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I've wanted to head out to the Alamo Lake area. It's a black site.

#9 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:48 AM

Cave Creek is nice, and fairly convenient if you are on the north end. I was out there a month ago putting my new 6" Mak through its paces.

#10 DavidC

DavidC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

If you can afford the gas, and it's getting a little cheaper, take advantage of it and go out to the antennas site west of phoenix about 90 miles on I-10. The All Arizona Star Party in october, and the All Arizona Messier Marathon in march is held out at an abandoned airstrip out there. But for those of us living in the east mesa area thats a little far. We prefer to go out to picket post trailhead, and I myself like to go out by the weavers needle trailhead in the superstition mountains off peralta road, and its almost as dark.
David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics