• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

Howdy all;

I made a sketch of the star Eta Carina and its nebulosity, called the Humunculus at 360X in a 12 inch Cassegrain. This was from my friends backyard near Brisbane.

My problem is that it just is not coming out looking anywhere near what it did in the scope. The star at the middle of the peanut-shaped nebula is Eta Carina and the nebula is the dust it ejected many years ago. If you have seen the Hubble image then you know there are dark markings on the nebula.

So, having the star drawn in dark pencil and then also having the dark dusk markings drawn in dark pencil is not a good representation of this object. I am thinking that I will have to buy some dark paper, Navy blue or black and use some color pencils to create the nebula in light orange and then the star in white and the dust in black.

I do see color in the brightest nebulae and some planetaries, so the purchase would not be for just one object.

Thanks for any input you have;
Steve Coe

Attached Files

#2 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

Try inverting the image. I think it looks fine. It's your interpretation of what you saw. Here is some info the Mellish technique. I believe the author post some drawings here.

http://www.iceinspac...14-0-0-1-0.html

Ken

#3 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

Ken, et al;

Thanks for the link, I will give that a try. I did buy some colored paper today at WalMart. I just need to practice and see what I can do.

Steve Coe

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Steve,

Very nice sketch. It is nice to know that the peanut shape and nebula are easily visible at the eyepiece.
All these far southern treasures are reason enough to travel to the southern hemisphere to see them.

Frank :)

PS I enjoy reading what you write about down there in Arizona

#5 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Steve,
No problem. It takes practice. I did the moon tonight and it looked like a banana with eyes! It isn't easy but its fun.

Ken

#6 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Steve,

Nice sketch of Eta Carina :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC