Which CPC?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yes, thanks, I actually like the nexstar 8 GPS and can quite believe they're much quieter. It's such a shame Celestron switched to awfully noisy motors or slightly misaligned components creating a racket when slewing. Wouldn't mind they even had to cut the speed!

#27 katie

katie

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Maryland

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

I opted for the less expensive CPC1100 (non-Edge) because I knew most of my imaging would be with the Hyperstar. There is no optical advantage of the Edge over a plain CPC1100 when in Hyperstar mode.

As for cooling and temp equalization, I purchased an SCT cooler. Works just fine.

For those good-seeing windows where I want to image in non-hyperstar mode, I purchased an SCT Corrector from Starazonia ($349). It works great! Flat field - Edge like images from the CPC1100.

The CPC1100 is a beast. Mine stays on a tripod with retractable wheels. If I had to mount it every time I used it....well, I would/could not use it.

#28 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

thanks for the response Katie, and yes the regular CPC1100 looks like a fantastic scope for the price. I'm just struggling to pull the trigger on it because lots of people suggested the Edge. Deep down I know I want the Edge version but its a little over my budget. If I can find a good deal then I'll get the Edge version but if I cant then I might fall back to the standard CPC. Weirdly, we ALL know that for visual the standard CPC1100 will be stunning but for some reason the Edge marketing team have us all spooked about the edge of field flatness!

Oh and alas, I'll have to set mine up each time although thankfully not so far. 15 feet or so?

:)

#29 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

My attitude about field flatness for visual use is that on stellar and small width objects (looking at star color, double-stars, planets, small globulars, small galaxies) your concentration is on the center of the view and only use the periphery as context. Slight curvature on the edges doesn't matter.

On extended diffuse objects (nebula, galaxies), where you let your eye roam around the field of view to enjoy the details across the object, curvature is more complexly rendered and not even noticeable. Again, slight curvature doesn't matter.

Maybe, just maybe, on a large globular might there be room for curvature affecting the stars on the periphery... but once again, your concentration is more on the center where it is undetectable. Slight curvature doesn't matter.

For visual use, in my opinion, it is more of an intellectual argument of specs than it is a determent from pleasure. Slight curvature doesn't matter.

Also, the edge scopes are too new and too few available for there to be many used deals. They would get close to list price (plus your shipping) on any market.

Caveat: I have a Celestar 8 and CPC-1100. I have looked through an Edge only 8 one time... it was a great view. But then again, I was getting great views in my scope that night too. With different eyepieces etc, nothing jumped out at me in the Edge scope and difficult to compare!! And I paid less for my ebay 1100 than he paid for his new 800 Edge. ;-)

My 1.5 cents. Oh, did I mention that slight curvature doesn't matter?

Jim in Boulder

#30 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

thanks Jim, you know I know you're right too. I think its also a bit of an ego thing too! It shouldn't be but that NEWER model is irking me?! I can get the Deluxe for less than 4K (my limit) but only from one source. Only problem with the source, it would be an import and I dread the thought of a problem rearing its head needing me to ship it back to the retailer!

They never make it easy do they? :) Even if I can grab my so called bargain at <4K for the Deluxe I still think the 2.5K standard CPC is a fantastic deal!!

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

#31 katie

katie

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

... Only problem with the source, it would be an import and I dread the thought of a problem rearing its head needing me to ship it back to the retailer!...

To the above, allow me to add another decision point (as if you did not have enough already). :grin:

When I went looking, specifically for the CPC1100, I did the normal on-line shopping and comparison. But, when it came time to actually purchase I went to the nearest Celestron dealer and cut a deal...not that far north of the on-line prices.

I picked the local purchase option for three reasons.
1) The folks are very nice and provide free support(already had that one come in handy a week after purchase - replaced the cover at no charge).
2) No ship back to Celestron for repair.
3) It is good to support your local dealer (IMHO).

This beast arrives in two boxes. The OTA and fork are in a box 36x19x30 inches. The tripod is boxed at 36x19x16 inches.

I can not imagine man(girl)-handling a 70lb box to ship to a dealer or Celestron.

#32 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Have we mentioned that slight curvature doesn't matter?

I have viewed the same objects, often using the same eyepieces, on the same night through my standard CPC1100 and our club C14 Edge and the only visual differences I have seen were attributable to the extra aperture, not the comparative design. I am convinced that what goes on outside the scope -- seeing, transparency, light pollution -- has a much greater impact on visual observing than the optical design, aperture and good collimation being equal.

Best bet is that when Celestron engineers sat down to design the Edge they had imagers in mind far more than visual observers.

#33 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

Have we mentioned that slight curvature doesn't matter?

I have viewed the same objects, often using the same eyepieces, on the same night through my standard CPC1100 and our club C14 Edge and the only visual differences I have seen were attributable to the extra aperture, not the comparative design. I am convinced that what goes on outside the scope -- seeing, transparency, light pollution -- has a much greater impact on visual observing than the optical design, aperture and good collimation being equal.

Best bet is that when Celestron engineers sat down to design the Edge they had imagers in mind far more than visual observers.

It has been but there are clearly 2 camps even on cloudy nights. I thought that I'd be laughed at for even thinking of getting the Edge for mostly visual but a lot of folks suggest to get the Edge as it is much better when wide angle eyepieces are thrown in the mix?

#34 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Someone mentioned "slight curvature doesn't matter" once or twice earlier in the thread. I think. ;-)

I live up against the Rocky Mountains in Boulder, CO. Which blesses us with gorgeous views, lots of blue sky days, no humidity, clear skies... and terrible seeing. Spectacular clear, dark nights often harbor all kinds of turbulent air that you can't see... until you peel off the cover of your scope.

For the first few months I had my CPC 1100, while I was excited about the deep sky objects I could see... it was all I could do to imagine a single cloud stripe on Jupiter.

Then... I drove out to Utah. Holy Mackeral! I thought I had a new telescope. I could see martians that had landed on Jupiter. I could see the Apollo 11 flag standing on the moon. Well, not quite.

But the difference was amazing. Even the Edge optics can't do anything about poor seeing conditions or loads of humidity and bad transparency.

Good point, Mike!

Jim

#35 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Jim, yes, weirdly, that's another reason I'm pausing for thought. Coming from using C8's I certainly hope the C11 will give me a notable increase :)

#36 novalad

novalad

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Uxbridge,Ontario--Canada

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Good luck with whatever CPC model you go with!
I was looking to get a Nexstar 8SE and had posted that in the Nexstar forum but took your suggestion and have decided to go with a CPC Edge 800. Having had the 9.25 non Edge version yrs ago I know the mount is pretty solid but the 9.25 could be a pain sometimes as far as being portable.
I think the CPC Edge 800 will be good for me as I'm looking for portability and a stable mount and at only 43 lbs for the OTA and mount it will be easier to move around:)
Celestron claims they have made improvements to the mount and drive section..anyone experience improvements there?
I know my old CPC 9.25 was pretty good..even on 1 star allign it tracked quite well and was fairly quiet.
Just going to use the beast for purely visual!Should work well with a nice set of Brandon eyepieces I got last yr!
----------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------
Skywatcher ED Pro 120
Astrotech 66ED
Set of Brandon Eyepieces
Meade 2X 140 APO Barlow
Antares Variable Polarizer 1.25"

#37 Fernando134

Fernando134

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Many of you wrote about how heavy the CPC1100 is. I am quite sure it is. What about having a CPC1100 in something like a scopebuggy? I am planning replacing my CPC800 with the 1100 (for observing). I will have to push the CPC1100 on the buggy for about 20 feet. Can anyone comment on that?

Fernando

Fernando

#38 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Hi Fernando-

It all depends on the surface you are wheeling the CPC1100 across. I used to keep my CPC1100 in the garage and all i needed was to wheel it out about 10ft on the driveway. I was on concrete the whole way... as such i found i could do very well with just three little piano casters which cost like $10 each. If you have to travel on uneven ground or across grass then you will need the scopebuggy or the JMI wheelybar with large wheel upgrade and in either case you are looking at $300+ excluding of course shipping.

here is what i used to use prior to just leaving my CPC1100 fully mounted and assembled outdoors:

http://www.amazon.co...FTVEI/ref=pd...

Good luck
Al

#39 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Novalad, no problems with tracking or gotos. It almost feels like cheating. Smooth and accurate. Much to like in that department.

#40 Fernando134

Fernando134

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

Hi Al,

I will have to wheel for about 20ft on concrete. Very creative the three little piano casters (one for each tripod leg, right?). You kept the CPC on the casters all the time, even when observing, I am guessing.

Thanks, Fernando

#41 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Good luck with whatever CPC model you go with!
I was looking to get a Nexstar 8SE and had posted that in the Nexstar forum but took your suggestion and have decided to go with a CPC Edge 800. Having had the 9.25 non Edge version yrs ago I know the mount is pretty solid but the 9.25 could be a pain sometimes as far as being portable.
I think the CPC Edge 800 will be good for me as I'm looking for portability and a stable mount and at only 43 lbs for the OTA and mount it will be easier to move around:)
Celestron claims they have made improvements to the mount and drive section..anyone experience improvements there?
I know my old CPC 9.25 was pretty good..even on 1 star allign it tracked quite well and was fairly quiet.
Just going to use the beast for purely visual!Should work well with a nice set of Brandon eyepieces I got last yr!
----------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------
Skywatcher ED Pro 120
Astrotech 66ED
Set of Brandon Eyepieces
Meade 2X 140 APO Barlow
Antares Variable Polarizer 1.25"

I think you've made a great choice. I don't think you'll see a lot of difference in the mount though, slightly dimmer power light, 4 degree slew speed instead of 3 and a clamped worm? I think these are all very minor upgrades noting I notice Celestron no longer say it has quiet slewing? The cpc was never quiet but I wonder if the new mounts slightly faster slew means its a little noisier?

Either way, when you look through it I bet you don't care. It will have superb views. Enjoy :)

#42 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Fernando-

For very smooth pavement they work great, even on a driveway with a few cracks and bumps they are fine if you are careful and slow in rolling it out. Yes I used to keep the CPC tripod feet on the little casters (they are quite small, but each is capable of 160# of weight!). Saved me $300 in not having to order JMI Wheeley bars and/or scopebuggy. Even better, I now have my CPC1100 outside for spring/summer observing somewhat permanently in the backyard covered with a Telegizmo cover, so I now use the little casters to wheel out my CGEM whenever I want a quick look as opposed to doing some video with the CPC.... Best $30 i spent in a while!

Boa sorte!
Al

#43 Fernando134

Fernando134

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Thanks Al.

Obrigado, Fernando

#44 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Well? What did you get?

If you have not decided yet, go for the edge. It's not a fair trade off as it's 27% more expensive than the other one and the gains will probably not be noticeable on any given night.

But one night, at a dark site, the seeing will be perfect, the humidity non-existent along with dew. A very slight warm breeze will waft through carrying a pleasant tune. When you finally look through the eyepiece at your favorite globular cluster, your heart will stop for a moment as you catch your breath. Then, and only then, you will realize that this particular view was worth every penny, and the extra money spent was insignificant and a bargain at twice the price. You'll pack up the next morning with a satisfied smile and the only photographs you'll really ever need. The ones perfectly imprinted on your minds eye for you to pull up and revisit at a time of clouds.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
Stacy

#45 katie

katie

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Don't know about anyone else, but you had me at:

"A very slight warm breeze will waft through carrying a pleasant tune."

A Sagan/Thoreau blended post :grin:

#46 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Well? What did you get?

If you have not decided yet, go for the edge. It's not a fair trade off as it's 27% more expensive than the other one and the gains will probably not be noticeable on any given night.

But one night, at a dark site, the seeing will be perfect, the humidity non-existent along with dew. A very slight warm breeze will waft through carrying a pleasant tune. When you finally look through the eyepiece at your favorite globular cluster, your heart will stop for a moment as you catch your breath. Then, and only then, you will realize that this particular view was worth every penny, and the extra money spent was insignificant and a bargain at twice the price. You'll pack up the next morning with a satisfied smile and the only photographs you'll really ever need. The ones perfectly imprinted on your minds eye for you to pull up and revisit at a time of clouds.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
Stacy

Wow, that's a lovely way of thinking about it. Well the Edge here in the UK is 45% more compared with the regular. I am now waiting on the Bank Managers approval. If given the all clear I'll be ordering the Edge next week. If not then I'll have to think about settling for the regular.

Hopefully, it will go to plan and the Edge will be on its way soon?!
:crazy:

#47 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

Just a quick follow up to this. I have after far too much deliberation finally ordered the cpc 1100 deluxe. Thanks to everyone who helped me make the decision, all helped. Of course if I don't like it I can blame you guys right and get a whip round for the refund?
;)

#48 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hey! You'll enjoy your new scope and I'll personally vouch to having no knowledge of any suggestions and/or recommendations regards said subject.

Hope the weather cooperates when it arrives and have fun!

#49 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

I'd recommend some high end glass for the other end as well.

The ep I find myself using the most is a 17mm Nagler. A 13 T6 is also a joy. The Ethos are really nice but 2nd hand Naglers are a fantastic bargain. JMHO

#50 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Thanks, yes, I need to decide on a few eyepieces. I was thinking about trying to complete the celestron luminos line as I thought the 31mm would be useful. That and the supplied 23mm along with my baader zoom would keep me going whilst I looked to complete the range?

Any thoughts on the Luminos line of eyepieces?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics