Upgrading a Byers Mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mole

mole

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

Our club is building a small observatory and has the opportunity to receive a donation of a Byers Series II mount fitted with the Microstep Drive, there are motors on both axes, and it has an ST4 port. What would it take to make this into a practical GoTo mount suitable for use by "average" club members? Does anyone know whether upgrades kits are available, or digital setting circles?

thanks

Mike

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

My guess is you could figure out a setup with a Si-tech controller. Perhaps perusing their Yahoo! Group would be good?

Sounds awesome! And, welcome to CN!

#3 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:36 AM

It may have a tangent drive in declination, so no GoTo.

#4 mole

mole

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

The mount specification does mention that Dec is controlled by tangent, but I wasn't sure what this meant. I had thought it referred to a backlash/stiction free drive mechanism, so it was a positive feature to have. Could you explain how the tangent feature eliminates the possibility of converting to Goto please.
Thanks
michael

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

The tangent drive means there is a ball screw or lead screw for the declination - not a full worm.

This means the declination can only move about +/- 5 degrees without de-clutching. So no GoTo.

A better idea is to find if the mount takes encoders, and use an Argo Navis for pointing. It's not as good as GoTo, but you can't have GoTo with this mount at all.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics