Atlas AQ-G and iPad Control

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tclehman1969

tclehman1969

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Just a quick question. I have and Atlas AQ-G and an iPad. I am considering using iPad to drive the scope, but just wanted to know:

1) how are the apps for iPad/Atlas control?
2) how best to connect the iPad to the Atlas? Cable or the little wifi option?
3) if cable, does iPad via cable replace hand control or must it go through existing hand controller?

I think that's it! Appreciate all your help!

#2 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hi,

I've used my iPad and SkySafari/SkyFi to control a GC5 and like it.

When connecting using the SkyFi (wirless) connection, the iPad connects via wifi to the SkyFi box. SkyFi is connected to the hand controller through 1 port while the main port on the HC is attached to the mount as usuall.

SkySafari has a setting for an Orion Atlas mount.

#3 cloudking

cloudking

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DUTCHESS COUNTY, NY USA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hi, I have the star seek pro app and use the orion star seek wifi module ( didn't want more wires ). the app i beleive will work via cable but it's a special cable. i have only used it once and it was realy nice just find what you want to look at and hit go. i also have the atlas mount and yes you connect your i-pad to the hand controller after you do your alignment setup first. it's not that accurate at finding objects but it has a learn function which i haven't gotten to play it with much but i think it has potential. it's probably good for visual work but don't think i would rely on it for imaging. hope this helps :) clear skies!

#4 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

I use both Sky Fi and Sky Wire with all my mounts (Atlas, CG5, Nexstar SE, CGE, etc.). Sky Fi is a wireless solution and Sky Wire is a wired solution. Both use the app "Sky Safari". Sky Safari is available for both iOS and Android devices. It's very much fun.

Regards,

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics