• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

I have an Orion XT12g and want to put a cooling fan on it. For you Orion guys out there that have done this, what fan did you buy and how did you mount it? :help:

#2 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

• Loc: West of the Mississippi

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

I bought the fan kit from Orion. My 10 inch and my XX14i and my previous XX12i were all set up for them. There kit I think is around $25.00. Look on there web site. I think they are under dew control section. All the mounting hardware comes with it.

#3 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

I bought the fan kit from Orion. My 10 inch and my XX14i and my previous XX12i were all set up for them. There kit I think is around $25.00. Look on there web site. I think they are under dew control section. All the mounting hardware comes with it.

Interesting. It says that it fits the XT12g truss tube, but mine is the solid tube. I wonder if it would still work?

#4 Tim D

Tim D

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temecula, CA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

I bought the Orion Fan for my XT8 Classic and just moved it to my XT10G with no problems, it fit both. The Orion fan should fit your XT12G. I just looked at their website. If it fits the XT12 Classic and the XT12i, it should fit the XT12G solid tube- Same OTA on all three.
Tim

#5 mfromb

mfromb

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

I have an Orion XT12g and want to put a cooling fan on it. For you Orion guys out there that have done this, what fan did you buy and how did you mount it? :help:

There is a whole thread dedicated fan, cooling, etc. A lot of options to consider in terms of how to mount, which direction for airflow, whether or not to just use a bottom mounted fan, or to add sidemounted (which would typically require modifications to the tube), how to power the fan(s), etc.

Recently, I added a fan to my XT8i that, for now, is suiting my needs. Later, I'll mod the setup a bit, to enclose the back of the scope/fan to encourage more/better directed airflow. In the meantime, I'm using a standard 'good quality' 80mm computer fan, which is the size the back of my XT8i is pre-enabled for (holes to mount match this fan size/design).

I mounted with Velcro, primarily for quick and easy on/off and, possibly to help prevent possible vibrations. I had considered using some rubber/silicone standoffs I have for mounting fans, which certainly help isolate vibrations, but they're not always the easiest to pop in/out. Velcro has worked perfectly, I'm happy to report.

I also am currently running my fan off of an AC power source. I initially went with AC power (converted to DC with a transformer/wallplug adapter) since I'm mainly viewing around my home's general vicinity, and I have a number of outdoor outlets and outdoor extension cords to make this a cinch. I had a collection of surplus, compatible transformers kicking around (convert AC to 12VDC), so it was a simple matter to snip the power lead off the transformer and marry it to a standard fan header (3 pin female) from one of my many space computer parts I have on-hand (clipped from an older system's power supply that had a fan power lead on it).

At any rate, I can run my fan from the power plug, delivering 12VDC from an available AC outlet. When I'm ready to be more mobile (dark sky visits this spring/summer/fall), I can consider switching over to a DC power source like a battery pack, etc.

Here's a link to some snapshots I took for another thread where I answered a request to post some pics:

http://www.cloudynig...eginners/Num...

Click on the imageshack link to see the pics with some captions for additional context. Was super easy and quick, and so far a very nice improvement from pre-fan performance, both in terms of initial cooling, and continued cooling during viewing. I can see results in the eyepiece, and no vibrations induced at the currently highest mags I've looked at (358x).

Hope this helps, and gets you thinking about the possibilities. There are some ready-made kits, and you can opt for a myriad of do-it-yourself approaches. I'm not done, as I will add the shroud/enclosure soon... and may eventually add some side-mounted 'boundary layer' fan solution. Again, in the meantime, this was a decent, cheap, quick and easy 'upgrade' from no-fan to a basic fan install.

Best Regards

#6 Tim D

Tim D

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temecula, CA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Some more info on the Orion fan. On both my XT8 and XT10g, I never had a problem with vibration. It runs on D cell batteries, which you can get a long running time out of. I didn't change mine for 18 months and even then it was not completely dead just slow.
Tim

#7 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

• Loc: West of the Mississippi

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

Billytk; I stand corrected . On Orions web site the single fan is in the mount accessories section. I also have never had any vibration problems. I never run it or them while observing. I usally run them at least 30 to 45 minutes during set up. That has always been plenty of time. Someone could have vibration problems but I bet it is caused by a bad out of balanced fan. You may never see it with the naked eye. Thanks Bill

#8 bluesteel

bluesteel

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

If you have electrical outlets, I would suggest using a small personal fan. Bigger than 4", smaller than 10". It helped make cool down times from an hour to a half hour, and that is with the cooling fan from Orion running in combination with it, on an Orion xx12g. Tried a box fan, and could not get enough direct airflow to the mirror, so a smaller fan that I could tilt up and down on the base was in order.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics