• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Starblazer999

Starblazer999

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Just need a bit of help, planning on buying A 3.5 m Sirius dome does anyone know how high the pier needs to be for A CGE PRO 14 to fit getting a pier made up but not sure on the height needed.

#2 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

There are a number of things that will determine your optimum pier height other than just the wall height of the obs and the telescope. You need to consider things such as
- your local horizon and what obstructions you have
- how far away those obstructions are
- your latitude
- your height and the height of the people who will be using the scope.
- will you be sitting or standing

I have the smaller 2.3 meter Sirius dome with a GEM mounted scope. I use an adjustable height pier. I'm glad I choose an adjustable pier as it allows me to configure the obs for different scopes, mounts and people.

#3 Starblazer999

Starblazer999

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Obstructions will not be much of an issue as I am planning on installing the dome at the same location as I am using the scope now it will be a mostly A remote setup for photography latitude is 35 South will be standing when using it thou. Most vewing will be done 23 degrease to zenith.

#4 tadpoletoo

tadpoletoo

Vostok 1

• Loc: NW Michigan

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

My lx 200 14in is fork mounted on an adjustable height pier. The bottom mounting plate is 36 in above the finished floor, and can be adjusted up an additional 12 in. Another consideration is wall height. Not making it too tall and be able to add to it will allow different uses in the future.

#5 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Soyuz

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

I, too, have an LX200 and wanted my pier high enough so that I can view up to zenith without having to stoop down. This meant that the lower I view, I would need a step stool to reach the eyepiece. I prefer to step up than bend over. I estimated that my pier would need to be around 50-54 inches tall. The advantage of this also is the door is now tall enough that I won't have to bend down too much to enter and exit the obs.

#6 Kaizu

Kaizu

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Artdome 2 includes the Sirius dome.It has been built for 16" Meade LX200. The pier has been defined so that the scope can see the horizon.

Kaizu

#7 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

That is a very nice setup!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics