COSMOS remake coming spring 2014

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#1 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

The sequel/remake of the famed Carl Sagan series COSMOS from 1980 is currently scheduled for broadcast on FOX network sometime in the spring of next year. It will feature Neil deGrasse Tyson in Sagan's role as moderator, with Sagan's widow Anne Druyan and Steven Soter, a collaborator on the original series, in key production roles.

There are a lot of folks on this forum who took their first dive into astronomy as a result of those 13 weeks of viewing on PBS 33 years ago. It occurs to me that the new COSMOS, to be broadcast on a major network, will draw major public attention and a very large audience. It just might be one of the largest boosts to our hobby since Halley, given all the new knowledge that has emerged since 1980. Imagine what Sagan could have done with images from the Huygens probe descending to Titan, or Curiosity's snapshots from Mars! And imagine what the producers are probably doing right now with all the new special effects technology to make this a stunning series! I would bet that FOX will promote this series heavily, and it would not surprise me to see it become a major national hit, with ratings far beyond those of the original PBS series, which was only matched on PBS by the Ken Burns Civil War series years later.

Here is my suggestion: local astronomy clubs should start planning now to host major public star parties, perhaps
in conjunction with their local FOX affiliates, on the 13 nights when the COSMOS episodes air. It might be that some of those local stations would set up large screens for public viewing, which would draw substantial crowds. I can bet that telescope dealers are anticipating COSMOS with glee, and astronomy clubs could see dramatic increases in membership and interest as well. This really could be one of the most amazing boosts to our hobby in decades.

#2 d00d

d00d

Ranger 4

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Neil deGrasse Tyson is awesome! A for sure series to watch, thanks for the heads up!

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

Pluto's revenge: no one will watch. :grin:

http://www.theverge....killing-plut...

Karma can be a real BeehIveflowerpaTCH.

- Jim

#4 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

funny Jim.

I am hoping it is as popular and quality as recent astronomy popularizing programming on the BBC by Brian Cox like "Stargazing Live!" or the original "Cosmos"

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

I'm afraid it will be a lot of pretty pictures and computer graphics and little science or thought provoking questions....it was the original series strong point.

#6 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

we all get different things out of it. what I thought was the strongpoint was the dialogue.

#7 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

oh that should be very cool to watch. I have all the Universe type docs recorded from the Discovery channel and watch them over and over.
I found Sagen's 'Cosmos' book at the thrift store, quickly glanced through it.

#8 Bandit13

Bandit13

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: N.W. Arkansas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

It will be good for the hobby, and with Neil deGrasse Tyson it will undoubtedly be witty and intelligently written. What I will miss the most from the original series would probably be the unusual meter that Sagan used in his dialogue, with his pauses and emphasis. It was always easy for me to listen to him, and he was able to make the hard to grasp ideas easier for a young person to understand. The new series will be good though, can't wait.

#9 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

I will be disappointed if Dr. Tyson attempts a redo of the original Cosmos by Sagan. I enjoy Dr. Tyson and he is a talented teacher of popular astronomy, he tends to place way too much weight to (P) or pluto's place in the solar system and I found his program on the subject aimed at the Jr. High School level student. I guess I hope he has the show stand on it's own and not on the shoulders of the work of Sagan. Dr.Tyson is a scientist and should be able to do great things with modern astronomy. I can say that using a host with a true deep a knowledge of astronomy should give more clarity to many modern theories in cosmology. I watch almost all of the series on our science/ hobby and although I enjoy certain celebrities narration of Astronomy I don't feel that they're doing any more than reading a script and have no real knowledge or understanding of the subject. I find most series torn between special effects and the truth.
Be Well
Grey

#10 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

That's my fear, with today's media it will be all fluff and pretty pictures; science and any thought provoking content will be left on the edit room floor.....Carl, we miss you.

Took the "Cosmos" course (used Carl Sagan's book) at UNM in the late 80s. Best college course I ever took. Oddly enough, it was a Philosophy course.........

#11 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

I got interested in Astronomy after reading the book Cosmos. I never saw the TV series until much later. I do agree that Sagan had a way of speaking that was very clear. But it was new then too, I don't think a new series like that will have anywhere near the impact of the original.

#12 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

I watched the original, and gave the series to our kids for Christmas. I don't know if I want to watch the followup. I really don't care to, but I might.

#13 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

I am not a TV person, but would/will watch it online.

#14 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm on the fence too, to be honest.

Ann Druyan is involved, at least a little
It's an opportunity to expose a new generation to bleeding edge cosmology

Dislikes:

Fox, a commercial network, rather than PBS, a non-commercial network
Degrasse Tyson in Sagan's role

It's a pity that PBS couldn't have handled the remake and hired a true intellectual rather than a showman. Though Neil's sense of style fits the Fox three-ring-circus vibe pretty well; better than any hard scientist would have fit in.

Here's the thing. Agree or disagree with Sagan on the Big Questions, you still were interested in hearing what he thought. Does anyone know or even care what Degrasse Tyson thinks - about anything? :shrug:

Still, I think I'll give it a chance. It might be surprisingly authentic and true to its roots. The science of Cosmos is definitely due for a refresh and update.

- Jim

#15 guangtou

guangtou

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

In defense of Dr. Tyson...

I saw him in Memphis a few years ago and what impressed me most was that he remained at the reception after his talk until everyone had asked there questions. In fact, at the end, a good hour after his talk, there were only three people there including me. And no matter how silly the questions (including mine) he was patient and magnanimous.

For the older generation (I too grew up with the original Cosmos) it will be hard to let go of our bias for Sagan. But it is important that someone relates to and engages the younger crowd.

#16 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

He is a professional educator since he works at a planetarium. I am happy he has a love for it that he cares to share with you like he did guangtou.

My biggest reservation is with FOX. Afraid of garish over the top displays the network is known for.

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

It's Fox, they'll tell us the Universe is only 6000 years old.....

#18 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

It's Fox, they'll tell us the Universe is only 6000 years old.....

That IS an interesting combination, a science show on Fox.

#19 Bandit13

Bandit13

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: N.W. Arkansas

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Remember that Carl was for our generation, and Neil is for the current one. My 16 year old son holds him in very high regard, but he holds Michio Kaku higher.

#20 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

I like the UK's Brian Cox for the role.

- Jim

#21 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

I agree with you jim. Brian Cox would be an excellent choice.

#22 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

I have to agree with Brian Cox. I really like how approach and deliver.

#23 Dave74

Dave74

Mariner 2

• Loc: Gelatinous, MA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

Great thread, MikeBOKC. I'm really looking forward to this. I hope they do it right. I think they will.

#24 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

Place me in the Brian Cox camp for Cosmos also.

I can just hear the Fox News personalities off (or maybe on) air: "Hey, there's gonna be a show about stars and the milky way universe like that movie Jodie Foster was in."

#25 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

Nah, too sciency. There be monsters there......

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics