• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#26 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Another huge Brain Cox fan. I wonder if Prof Cox was trying to get the job for this series since he put a huge plug to Cosmos in his most recent series Wonders of the Universe.

#27 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

I really like Brian Cox, too. His sincerity and presentation are wonderful. As far as the new Cosmos series goes, I have no issues with Neil deGrasse Tyson and I think he is very good at getting the general public interested in the sciences. I'm sure he will do a good job on the series.

#28 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

I knew about this remake of the wonderful Carl Sagan series but didn't realize that it was not going to be on a PBS network. I agree it is good that it will be on a major network as it will be in front of a larger audience, however ther is something to be said about having uninterrupted programming. Which is why I love PBS so much because it lets your mind absorb the information as a whole. Not as sound bites between mindless commercials.

I would love it if there were major sponsors on the networks which would step up and sponsor minimal commercial interruptions. Sponsors who have a vested interest in the furthering of science and the exploration of space. I think that would go a long way in impressing the public that there is a major driving force behind this research and willingness to look further than our own world. And it is a viable industry to get into and contribute to the world.

I see opportunities for private enterprises like  Space X, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Virgin Galactic, etc. And many more HERE to promote their commitment to the venture. To have their advertising put in to this context will allow these companies propel into the forefront of the general publics minds.

There is a great opportunity here if some of the private enterprises jump on board and sponsor this series. And sponsor segments without the lame 15 second sound bites we are used to seeing. Maybe every 30 mins there is a thoughtful advertisement of one of these companies to really engage the public. I really hope they see the importance of this to them as well as the overall furthering of the publics interest.

I hope this doesn't disappoint. It really can be a turning point for all of us and for science as well.

#29 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

I like the UK's Brian Cox for the role.

- Jim

Brian should have stayed in Dare... Out Of The Silence is one of the very best AOR/melodic rock albums ever made :rockon: (I believe that Prof. Cox is the gentleman on the far right of the album cover in the preceding link).

Seriously, why do a remake of Cosmos in the first place? It is a thing-in-itself, and any attempt to recreate it is almost surely bound to fall short of the original. Surely the idea pool isn't so dry that something a bit different couldn't be tried?

#30 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

I suspect it's more of an update than a remake. We have learned a lot new in the fields of cosmology, planetology, biology and physics in the intervening thirty years. Ideological tensions between superpowers is no longer the greatest threat to the survival of the species. And now we have iPhones, 24-hour supermarkets, the Internet, hybrid and electric cars, amateur H-alpha solar equipment, CCD imaging devices and affordable apochromatic triplets. :grin:

I hope it's not a re-tread, but instead builds on the foundation laid by Sagan.

Regards,

Jim

#31 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

Agree Jim. Hubble, Spitzer, and the various other modern large telescopes around the world have expanded our views and understanding of the Universe. I hope they dedicate the necessary time in the episodes to dark matter / energy, Hubble Deep Field, updated mission information from Galileo, Cassini... so much has happened since the original series.

#32 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

What are they going to call it? "Cosmos II: The Revenge of Sagan"? :-)

#33 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

:funny: :roflmao:

#34 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

"I would love it if there were major sponsors on the networks which would step up and sponsor minimal commercial interruptions." Hey, we're talking ENTERTAINMENT media; Nah, less commercial time reduces profits, what good is a program if'n you can't sell commercials....Beside's the more commercials, the less you have to spend on actual programming.......

#35 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

If this new series is presented with commercial breaks, it won't be very effective; at least, not to the degree or in the manner that the original series was, regardless of content.

#36 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

S'ok. It'll be available on demand and on DVD shortly after broadcast; something that the original series had to wait 2 decades to attain. It's shocking to think, but the original Cosmos aired pre-Internet in the Beatmax heyday.

http://www.hrrc.org/Image/betamax.jpg

:grin:

- Jim

#37 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

And I was parked in front of the Quasar for each original episode.

#38 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

"As far as the new Cosmos series goes, I have no issues with Neil deGrasse Tyson and I think he is very good at getting the general public interested in the sciences."

That's a really good point. PBS and Fox are totally different networks with a totally different demographic in their audience. DeGrasse will probably play better to a mainstream mass-market audience than a Sagan-esque host would. For this to be a success for Fox, they have to get people to tune in. It will have to be easily digestible, accessible and entertaining. The producers probably had a very good notion of what kind of host would be needed to "hook" the network's average viewer. Commercial television is a business in the end and I definitely think DeGrasse is more marketable to the average Joe than Cox. Besides, Cox ain't even an Amur'can. :grin:

- Jim

#39 celtictexan

celtictexan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Amarillo Texas

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I googled this story and it has Seth McFarland as the lead in the remake.

#40 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

One of the most intriguing things about this is that McFarland apparently met Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow and the custodian of his copyrights and such some years ago and it turns out he is quite the science geek and is very serious about this project. Who would have guessed? As I noted in my original post, I think this has real potential to broaden the appeal of astronomy to a much wider audience.

#41 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Here's another programming savvy move. They'll air the episodes on both Fox and the NatGeo cable channel each programming night. PBSers will be more likely to tune into NatGeo than Fox for a science program.

MacFarlane will co-produce the new series with Ann Druyan, and DeGrasse will be the front man. Here's some insight into Seth's personality:

"Four years later, aged nine, MacFarlane began publishing a weekly comic strip entitled "Walter Crouton" for The Kent Good Times Dispatch, the local newspaper in Kent, Connecticut, which paid him five dollars per week.[14][15] In one anecdote from the time, MacFarlane said in a 2011 interview he was "always like just weirdly fascinated by the Communion ceremony [so] I did a strip that had a guy kneeling at the altar taking Communion and saying 'Can I have fries with that?' And to my 11-year-old brain that was comedy ...." The paper printed it and he got "an angry letter from our local priest .... It created sort of a little mini-controversy in our little town."

I'm becoming encouraged. Oh, and no "Spaceship of the Imagination" this time. Will DeGrasse pilot a Firefly class cargo transport? :lol:

- Jim

#42 Widespread

Widespread

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

I googled this story and it has Seth McFarland as the lead in the remake.

:jawdrop:

#43 Red Shift

Red Shift

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

I would be very interested in seeing a new COSMOS series program that interspersed segments of the original series hosted by Carl Sagan with new material hosted by Both Neil DeGrasse and Brian Cox with guest appearances by Michio Kaku. That material could be easily stretched out to a full year ( 26 episodes ? ).

#44 payner

payner

Viking 1

• Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

You beat me to my pick, Michio Kaku who I'd liked to have seen as the lead. The guy is such an intellect and is well versed when he explains his concepts, ideas or fundamentals through analogy.

Best,
Randy

#45 FrankJ

FrankJ

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

I really don't think that anyone can do as great a job as Car Sagan did on the original COMOS. I'll tell you what I think the problem is on most of today's documentaries; a problem that COMOS did not have. It's all the back ground music and sound effects which makes it very difficult to hear what the narrator is saying. A good example is on the Science Channel on the series about the universe. I think the reason for the music and other sound effects is to try to dramatize it. To me, it's annoying. Most of these channels like to hear comments from viewers. I sent them messages telling then that what they had for the viewers was interesting enough and the background "noise" was not needed but totally annoying. Having said that, I have to admit that I do have a hearing problem. So maybe others do not see it that way. Sagan spoke in a clear pleasant voice without the loud background music. There was some music but it was soft and pleasant. I could watch and listen to COMOS and it was very enjoyable. Maybe it's just me, but that's the way that I feel. I've often wondered if other felt the same way.

#46 astrokwang2

astrokwang2

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

I agree with you, Frank. There's so much post-production in science shows these days. Not only can the music be superfluous, but the immense amount of graphics seems like a disservice to the science involved. There's almost an assumption that the audience will be total neophytes to science and math which results in the overuse of graphic animations and "exciting" music. While the fancy graphics can be "cool", do they really serve the science involved? I often feel like the graphics are more about advances in computer animation technology than they are about the concepts.

There's something to be said for the more modest use of graphics and props in a science show. I think of Carl's relatively simple graphical explanations of "flatland" and the notion of tesseracts. His modest use of paper and shadows illuminated the concepts beautifully while also making it seem like the science could be explored with everyday materials found in your desk drawer.

Also, I think one of the most overlooked strengths of Carl's show is how he integrated the history of science with the history of differing peoples. There was that episode where he explored the history of the Japanese crab as an opening gambit to a show about natural selection. And in another episode he talks about his upbringing in Brooklyn before he moves into a discussion about Greek philosophers. What a great series of connections! These kinds of wide-ranging connections are thought-provoking and really help to demonstrate how science and history are actively happening around us.

#47 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Fox Entertainment: Who needs facts; give'm pretty pictures and something with a beat....

#48 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

I also have a harder time understanding the narrator when they have music in the background. Sometimes the music is kinda loud and it seems like they should know better.

#49 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

COSMOS was a product of it's time. Sagan had a front-row seat for much of the research and discovery that the show centered-on and was an effective communicator. It certainly didn't hurt that the late Johnny Carson was himself interested in astronomy and frequently had Sagan as his guest. It was another venue for Sagan to speak to the masses.
Any remake will likewise be a product of today. I plan on watching the new series and judging it on it's own merits. Tyson himself is a good communicator and enthusiastic about his field.

I met Carl Sagan some years before the COSMOS series started production. I found him a fascinating man, far more intelligent and knowledgeable than I could ever hope to be, yet very interested in bringing the message of scientific discovery to a larger audience. He was very gracious to the (then) young student Chuck, not condescending at all. I feel honored to have shaken his hand and had the opportunity to exchange a few words with him.

#50 Beerologist

Beerologist

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

I have been following this ever since news first seeped out and have come to the following conclusion.

Most negative nellies don't like the idea because,

1. Tyson isn't Sagan
2. Tyson's views on certain topics they hold dear

What's funny is when you so some digging you will find many of those who repeat 1. also said bad stuff about Sagan!

What is also funny is that those in camp 2. didn't like Sagan's views any more than they do Tyson's because both men share many of the same opinions.

The difference is that Sagan usually was diplomatic but Tyson often is not.

This has Druyan, MacFarlane and Tyson on board so I am prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt just as I did Sagan's Cosmos back when a lot of people were trashing that before it even aired.

A lot of the people who trashed the old Cosmos because Sagan was involved will be people trashing this new Cosmos because it's not the old Cosmos and Sagan's not involved.

I guess some people just love to hate, no matter what.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics