• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: W. Coast

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

Spent Saturday night in the wind at 8300 feet (Mount Pinos) playing with my Panasonic GH3 camera and its versatile Manual Movie Mode shooting some DSO's using a Gen 3 image intensifier and my Mewlon 250 (f12) scope.

Here's the Leo Triplet for your viewing pleasure.

Leo Triplet Real-time video Link

Here's a still of M65 for reference (4 sec exposure):

Attached Files

#2 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

And a still of M66 (2 sec exposure):

Attached Files

#3 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

Finally, a still of NGC 3628 (4 sec exposure)

Attached Files

#4 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

Amazing series of images of Leo Trio with that bevity of exposure... and you've got the M65 SN [marked below] now tipping mag 17 - thanks for sharing :bow:

Attached Files

#5 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

Really great shots and video. This truly is real time observing. A digital eyepiece. You could try the black and white mode to get rid of the green tint and make it look more like what your eye would see.

#6 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

What ISO are you using? Also have you tried the ETC mode to eliminate the vignetting? It is a lossless 1:1 crop in both stills and video mode.

I probably wouldn't bother with RAW for stills. I would Try the HDR mode which eliminates noise through the stacking process.

Try an ISO 12,800 HDR image with +3-3 Stops. Then crop out the vignetting in camera through the playback mode.

I don't think you have even begun to scratch the surface of what is possible with your setup. It looks great now but I think you will be really shocked at what is possible once you dive into the features in the GH3 that most people have never even dreamed of.

Keep posting I think your images and videos are really cool.

#7 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

Amazing series of images of Leo Trio with that bevity of exposure... and you've got the M65 SN [marked below] now tipping mag 17 - thanks for sharing :bow:

Thanks for finding the super nova in my still. I wasn't sure where to look. Would have been even cooler to catch it in my video.

#8 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

What ISO are you using? Also have you tried the ETC mode to eliminate the vignetting? It is a lossless 1:1 crop in both stills and video mode.

I probably wouldn't bother with RAW for stills. I would Try the HDR mode which eliminates noise through the stacking process.

Try an ISO 12,800 HDR image with +3-3 Stops. Then crop out the vignetting in camera through the playback mode.

I don't think you have even begun to scratch the surface of what is possible with your setup. It looks great now but I think you will be really shocked at what is possible once you dive into the features in the GH3 that most people have never even dreamed of.

Keep posting I think your images and videos are really cool.

I was periodically fiddling with the shutter speed and ISO setting. At the time I think I settled on 1600 ISO and a shutter speed of around 1/6 or 1/10 of a second.

I also tried several different Photo Styles from Std to Vivid to Sport. Not sure which I liked best. Recorded in 1080/60P AVCHD only. Still don't know how to use the ETC mode yet. Gotta read the manual.

Yes there are so many controls to play with on this camera. I'm looking forward to finding the best combination for my application.

My objective for video is to achieve the fastest shutter speed / lowest ISO possible for the least grainy / most real-time video. So far that's a pretty big challenge.

Once again, thanks for your GH3 suggestions.

-J

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics