Best Way to Mount a C14 Edge?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Awhile back I started a thread about which Astro Physics mount to get. At the time it was a choice between the AP 900 or 1600. I've decided to go with the new AP 1100 and also get a Celestron 14 Edge to put on the AP mount. Now I'm trying to figure out which is the best way to mount the scope onto the 1100. I've read about the Parallax rings and Andy Homeyer's cradle, but I don't know what to do. Do you all have any recommendations? I would like to use a system that provides as much rigidity as possible. This is my dream setup and one I will probably not replace, so I want to get it right. Thanks for any suggestions, comments, etc.!!

#2 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

I went from radius blocks to Parallax rings for my HD11.. the rings are about 8lbs.. i would assume the C14's would be heavier.. I doubt this is an issue for you... now... since this is your dream setup, i would do it right with either a craddle or rings... The dovetail and radius block setup does not allow the OTA to "breathe" (contract/expand as temperature changes) in my opinion (noticeable difference in OTA mounting holes where radius blocks attach).. If doing an SBS setup down the road, rings are definitely the way to go..

#3 Joe C

Joe C

Messenger

• Moderators

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

Since you are going with the AP1100, weight will not be an issue. I would go with the Homeyer cradle for its stability. Lots of folks have given it more than outstanding reviews for zero flexure. However, if you decide to go with a set of rings from say Parallax Instruments, I would suggest looking into the new Astro Physics dovetail plates (SBD16). I just got a pair of them with my AP175 and they are by far the most robust and rigid off the shelf pieces available.

#4 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Thanks, Dave and Joe. I've never see the Homeyer cradle, but I do have a pair of Parallax rings on my guide scope, and I know they are very stout and well made. However, it looks like the cradle with its stabilizing bars on the side might add a little more stability. Also, it looks like the cradle would make it easier to mount a saddle plate on top of the scope for a piggyback setup. My question about the Homeyer cradle is how it actually attaches to the mount. Can the cradle be mounted onto the AP SBD16 for example? From the pictures on Andy's web page, it's hard to tell if the cradle "rings" and stabilizing bar can be attached to the user's choice of dovetail bar or if it comes as one piece with holes specially placed on the mounting plate to fit the user's specifications. If anyone has a Homeyer cradle, I would really appreciate some input.

Another question I have for anyone using Parallax rings, is it difficult to mount a saddle plate on top of them? I have an ADM Max Guider that I want to use. Also, it would seem that a saddle plate mounted to the top of the rings would add more rigidity.

#5 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

The only way to obtain an Andy Homeyer Scope Cradle today may be via the used market. An earlier post on Cloudy Nights noted that Andy Homeyer died on March 26th 2013. Andy was one of the good guys. He will be missed.

#6 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

Thank you so much for letting me know. I did not know he had died and am so sorry to hear the sad news. It's always sad to lose a member of the astronomy community.

#7 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've decided to use Parallax rings to mount the C14, but what length dovetail plate do I use, or does it make any difference? How far apart from each other should the Parallax rings be? Thanks for any advice you can give!! I'd really appreciate any and all ideas about how to mount the scope onto the mount's saddle plate (which will probably be Astro Physics' 16" saddle plate).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics