CG-5 Advanced Series Mount/handset question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ky_Kat_Eyes

Ky_Kat_Eyes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Either I am not holding my head right, or the handset on this mount is squirrley.I own Celestron Go To Alt-Az and when you do a 2 star allingment, you find the star by slewing to it,and then hit Enter, servo steppers kick in for fine adjustment, but with this handset, when I hit Enter to center the star, the scope start's to slew like it wants to find it automatically.But it is moving the scope( 10" Meade lxd75)as when with the other handset, you hit enter, it doesnt take off on a run by itself.....does anyone know about this? If this is the case, where does one Index the mount?...hope that makes sense. :(

#2 pjensen

pjensen

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Highland Village, Tx

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

I own Celestron Go To Alt-Az and when you do a 2 star allingment, you find the star by slewing to it,and then hit Enter, servo steppers kick in for fine adjustment, but with this handset, when I hit Enter to center the star, the scope start's to slew like it wants to find it automatically.

The star alignment is a two step deal: First the mount slews to the star and you hit enter once you have centered the star in the finder. Then you center the star in the eyepiece (with cross hairs) and press align (the key left of the enter key).

Is this how you are doing it?

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Well, let's see. They are servos, not steppers, but that is beside the point.

When you begin the alignment, the scope slews to the star itself, you don't go to the star with the hand control manually. When the scope stops slewing, you center the object in the finder and hit Enter. Then you center in the main scope and hit Align. Repeat that for the second star, and then for the Cal stars. Methinks you might want to take another stroll through the old instruction manual. ;)

#4 Ky_Kat_Eyes

Ky_Kat_Eyes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

Thank You.....the instruction manual said nothing about this, that the mount will actually find the star on it's own. I have 2 alt/az mounts and those are totally backwards on the alingment process.

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

When you have a CG-5 goto (Advanced Series) mount, following the Celestron manual (either the hard copy that came with the scope/mount or what's been downloaded) can get confusing when trying to match what your hand controller is actually doing. To ensure that you've got the correct or best fit manual you need to check your firmware version. Perform the Version command (under Utilities) and note the 4.xx/5.xx number.

The hand controller section of the original manual on the Celestron support website for the Advanced Series mount or the C6/8/9.25/11 S-GT scopes is only appropriate for the older v3.xx firmware. The parts of the manual about the physical mount are fine, they haven't changed but the firmware in the hand controller has and the best way to ensure what you read matches the actual firmware is to download the manuals for other scope/mounts and use the hand controller section from those manuals.

If you have v4.13 or lower use the Hand Control Version 4 User's Guide
If you have v4.15/16 use the section from the CGEM manual
If you have v4.19/20/21 use the section from the CGEPro manual

If you have v5.xx you can still use the CGEPro manual but some of the menu trees won't be correct (but the description of all the functions are the same). This is the new NexStar+ hand controller.

Also the new polar alignment routine that is referred to as ASPA (All Star Polar Alignment) is described in the Astronomy Basics section (and not the hand controller section) of the CGEM/CGEPro manuals.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics