• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

I dropped the handpad (Synscan for Orion Sirius mount) while ON and now the lower line is gone, only on second or third positon is a small vertical line (depends on what is depicted).
The handpad behaves normally, only with missing second line, the handpad is useless.
Maybe a connector got dislodged or a circuit broken ?

What are my options ?
- attempt for self repair if I open it and see some disconnect
- get the display module and try to replace it
- send the handpad to Orion (no warranty) or Skywatcher CAN
for repair
- get a new handpad (costly)
- something completely different

I am trying to take it with stride (the four peaks of the Theophilus center were breathtaking in the SuperMono and TMB 105) but am angry on myself for my haste..I have a velcro pads to position the handpad on the mount body but tried to put it on the eyepiece shelf..)

#2 KD58

KD58

Ranger 4

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

Mine doesn't work and I just control the mount from my laptop using EQMOD. Basic controls can be through a game pad and goto can be replaced by a planetarium program such as CDC.

#3 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

I am Mac based, (MB Air and iPad), is EQMOD available ?
How do you do alignment ?
The controller is still functional, I would use it as an interface, I suppose..
Also have Sky Safari and Orion StarSeek wifi module, which I planned to use with this mount.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Have you opened the controller and checked the ribbon cable that connects to the board?

#5 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Have you opened the controller and checked the ribbon cable that connects to the board?

That is my plan for tonight..
Called Orion tech support, no call back after several hours. most likely they would offer a new one for $400.
Spoke with one Canadian Skywatcher dealer, if it is not the cable, he will facilitate an attempt for a repair with Skywatcher. Interesting also that the price for a new one here is a double of the Canadian price.

#6 KD58

KD58

Ranger 4

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

I am Mac based, (MB Air and iPad), is EQMOD available ?
How do you do alignment ?
The controller is still functional, I would use it as an interface, I suppose..
Also have Sky Safari and Orion StarSeek wifi module, which I planned to use with this mount.

I'm not sure about Mac v PC but EQMOD has an alignment routine. You can do a quick youtube search and there are several tutorials. It's quite neat really.

#7 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

The ribbon cable seats so firmly that I can't pull it out. However, I seem to see side cracks on the display panel, annotated by the arrows. I will ship it to Canada...

KD58, thanks for your suggestions. I want to use my recently purchased Starseek wifi, so would prefer the controller intact.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics