Mount suggestions for Televue NP-101

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LeCat

LeCat

Lift Off

• Loc: Charleston, SC

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

So I just picked up a Televue NP-101 and I am in the market for a mount. Now I am currently just visually observing but should I choose to do some astrophotography in the future, I would like to save myself some trouble and/or money by choosing one mount now.

Would y'all recommend that I get a simple tripod with GPS for visual observing and a separate GoTo mount for AP should I do that in the future or should I just spend the money now and get a good GoTo mount and be done with it?

What is the opinion on getting something like a CG-5 GoTo mount and using it for observing/simple AP?

#2 FoxTrot

FoxTrot

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

The CG-5 class mount would be perfectly matched for your NP101 because you'd be running at less than half of the mounts maximum weight capacity. But with the new VX mount now available, I would simply bite the bullet and go for that mount if you could afford it. The VX seems to have significant improvements over the older CG-5.

Whether you also get a a simple tripod, or simple AZ mount, GPS etc., thats up to you. There's a lot to be said for that, ie: set up and cool down within 15 minutes or so, and then you're observing. Your NP101 is perfect for that, and such a mount would also be great for daytime use.

Congrats on your new TV! Cheers, Fox

#3 LeCat

LeCat

Lift Off

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Thanks Foxtrot..I'll look into the mount. Hopefully it doesn't have one of those "oh hell no" price tags.

#4 LeCat

LeCat

Lift Off

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

So in your opinion the extra $250 is worth getting the VX over the CG-5?

#5 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yes. The CG-5 is being phased out with the VX replacing it. The VX is proported to have better drive motors and better tracking.

Patrick

#6 FoxTrot

FoxTrot

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

LeCat, a GC-5 will do your NP101 fine, I'm just suggesting the VX because it's a new mount based on the GC-5 and has modern improvements and new casting etc. My CG-5 clone (ie LXD75) is also nice fit for my Genesis, but the mount is crude - basic entry level Goto and that's all. I need to regularly tighten the worms because of slack and backlash, and boy, it's one noisy mount! I love how light it is, and it does the job for what is it, but crude is the word that comes to (my) mind.

Mechanically and motor wise, I think the VX is significantly better than the old CG-5, and that's what your paying for. Indeed, I am tempted myself as a replacement for my LXD75 - can anyone comment on how might it handle the NP127is ? Keeping in mind that the NP127 is all 'round about double the size and weight of the Genesis and NP101 class TV scopes.

Thanks
Fox

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

A Vixen SXD or SXW if you can find one used is even lighter than the CG-5 class mounts and better built. They do have that pesky declination guiding bug which makes them useless for AP unless you change the motor board to a NexSXD/NexSXW and buy a Celestron handset to replace the Starbook...

#8 FoxTrot

FoxTrot

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:00 AM

Thanks, I considered the Vixen SXW as well, but they were double to triple the price of a CG-5 class mount, and I really didn't like the idea of Starbook, especially since Sky Safari wifi seems a much better way to go. Indeed, i would prefer the NextStar or Autostar Handcontroller than Starbook.... Fox

#9 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:04 AM

IMHO... a TV scope deserves an equally premium mount :)

I think used SXW's go for as low as $800 but that's with the Starbook. Adding a NexSXW and Nexstar controller would add another $300 to $400 to the price. But they are much better built than the CG-5 or presumably AVX, and much lighter as well.

#10 LeCat

LeCat

Lift Off

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

Thanks for the tips, I think I would like to stay under the $1K mark pricewise so I think I'll go with the AVX.

#11 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

• Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

An Orion Sirius, coupled with eqmod should also be an option to consider. You should be able to find something on the used market within your budget.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics