• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Back in February I decided to upgrade my equipment. Due to some issues, including weather, my first light was one star to get my Telrad aligned with my OTA. My wife got to see that one star. She is no astronomer and tolerates my expenditures. The seeing was so incredibly bad that the star was a smear in the sky. I packed it up for the night.

At a birthday party a few nights later, she was describing to her family the equipment and how bad seeing shut us down. I was flabbergasted that she was trying not only trying to talk the talk, but teach her siblings about conditions. I guess I'm a lucky guy.

#2 woolbrig

woolbrig

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bethalto, Illinois

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I'm hoping once it warms up a little I can get my wife a little involved in astronomy. I'm not holding my breath however...

#3 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

My wife has no interest. But, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It leaves me out there in peace and tranquility---with the dog and cat, of course. Once in awhile, however, she will come have a look at my request and give the usual, "Hm," or maybe even a short, "Cool." At least she isn't jealous of the time I spend outside. Now that would get on my nerves if she were.

#4 Brent

Brent

Mariner 2

• Loc: NE Missouri

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

My wife thinks it's funny when I talk about astronomy. If I describe my observations of Jupiter, for instance, she compares it to the post-game rundown of sports commentators—all very good-naturedly of course. She's a good sport herself, always willing to take a look if I tell her there's something worth seeing, but she's never been bitten by the bug.

If I tell her about an article or a book I've read about some aspect of theoretical astronomy, that's when I get the best reaction. "Tell me another one." It all seems to amuse her, like ghost stories might others. So, even if she isn't exactly my observing buddy, she is very beatific about my magpie-like fascination with shiny objects. And she has a fun attitude.

Also, she keeps offering to buy me more telescopes, but I always decline. Really!

Clear skies all around (except where I live apparently),

Brent

#5 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I love my wife, she and I share so many interests. We've spent a lot of nights just laying in the backyard looking for satellites, meteor showers and learning constellations. When I told her I wanted to get a good telescope she was really excited. She has downloaded quite a few astronomy apps to her iPad and is trying to learn her way around the sky. The sound she makes looking through the eyepiece at Jupiter or M42 is just priceless. And she absolutely LOVES M45. I really need to get her to a dark site so she can see the veil.
Yep, definitely my soulmate! <3

#6 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Also, she keeps offering to buy me more telescopes, but I always decline. Really!

Lucky!

#7 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

sure is lucky. my ex hated that I liked astronomy and spent so much time outside

#8 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Keep your wife. :grin: My wife does not care about astronomy, but she lets me spend as much time and money on it as I want. I just spend as much on jewelry on her as I do my astronomy stuff. She always asks--when are you going to buy some more astronomy equipment? :lol:

#9 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

She always asks--when are you going to buy some more astronomy equipment? :lol:

The running joke in our observing group is that when we pack off for our darksky site, the wives all pack off for Nordstrom's.

So "Honey, when are you going observing again?" might be roughly translated "I need new shoes, and another ____, and...."
:roflmao:

I am truly fortunatte in that my wife may not enjoy being out observing (i think no cold-tolerance is the issue) like i do, tho she'll do the occasional peek & "hmmm" thing... but she's also not the Nordstrom type either. We do our observing on opposite sides of the same window- i'm on the patio observing the sky, she's in the room, on the 'puter, observing JC Penney's. :lol:

In the end, it prob'ly works out 'bout the $ame.
;)

#10 ensign

ensign

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Ontario

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

My wife has no interest. But, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It leaves me out there in peace and tranquility---with the dog and cat, of course. Once in awhile, however, she will come have a look at my request and give the usual, "Hm," or maybe even a short, "Cool." At least she isn't jealous of the time I spend outside. Now that would get on my nerves if she were.

That just about perfectly sums up my situation as well.

#11 Kimbo2112

Kimbo2112

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:07 AM

I thought I would chime in on this one. I am in the complete OPPOSITE position. My husband tolerates my interest, as I tolerate his love of football (luckily, we both love baseball!)The important point is that, in a marriage, you needn't like the same things, but, you should care enough about your spouse to actively listen to/ask questions about whatever it is that they are passionate about. My husband loses me when he starts talking plumbing, and I know I lose him when I stray to far into the astrophysics side of things.

I, too have noticed my husband using a little "lingo" here and there ! For the record, I cannot imagine a more horrible, hellish activity than to go shopping at Nordstrom's, or any other such place...much less with other women!!

#12 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Kim a lot of wisdom in your post. The idea that interests have to be identical or similar is just that. But its the respect and appreciation of the others interest that's key. You also had some nice humor moments.

Pete

#13 ChipAtNight

ChipAtNight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: N.C. (Love the Blue Ridge)

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

When the wife subject comes up, I only have one fear will she get/want a bigger or better scope than the ones we have now. The cost of two observers, on buying, transporting, setting up, cleaning, repairing, and adding new stuff is the biggest problem. She keeps me on my toes as we both learn the night sky and find the deep sky jewels.
Don’t know which of us enjoy the hobby the most, but it sure makes those late nights must easier.
Lucky GUY here!

#14 Mark Costello

Mark Costello

Gemini

• Loc: Matthews, NC, USA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

I thought I would chime in on this one. I am in the complete OPPOSITE position. My husband tolerates my interest, as I tolerate his love of football (luckily, we both love baseball!)The important point is that, in a marriage, you needn't like the same things, but, you should care enough about your spouse to actively listen to/ask questions about whatever it is that they are passionate about. My husband loses me when he starts talking plumbing, and I know I lose him when I stray to far into the astrophysics side of things.

I, too have noticed my husband using a little "lingo" here and there ! For the record, I cannot imagine a more horrible, hellish activity than to go shopping at Nordstrom's, or any other such place...much less with other women!!

:waytogo: :bow:

My companion Laura doesn't have an interest in astronomy. Maybe twice, I've gotten her to an eyepiece. But she has taken a good bit of her time to listen to me talk about what I'm observing and look over my drawings and notes. Her good words about my moonscapes are encouraging because she is a talented artist with pen and pencil.

I'm now giving her time when she talks about her passion, gardens. My only interest in yardwork is getting it done ASAP but she loves spending time and effort turning our back yard into a garden and wing-haven. So I spend a little time talking about the plants she has put in place and willingly go on her guided tours of our yard. I also enjoy time with Laura as we watch the furry and feathered critters enjoying the fruits of her labor.

The nice bonus in our marriage is we have a good number of things in common: history (I'm reading a history of Ghengis Khan that Laura bought and read), the Bible, music (we both love that ol' time rock & roll), current events, etc...

#15 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

My husband loses me when he starts talking plumbing, and I know I lose him when I stray to far into the astrophysics side of things.

I would rather talk to you about astronomy, than to your husband about plumbing. :grin:

#16 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

:crazy:My wife shows me NO support in anything I want to do!! I've always supported her, and encouraged her to do what she wanted! Must get some thinking done!!!

#17 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

Hey, if he talks about plumbing, it's worth putting up with if he also "walks the walk" and keeps things flowing smoothly. Even it it's boring. Not many things more unpleasant than a balky toilet (especially after you've just used it) and not knowing how to fix it, or, better yet, having someone nearby that can.

#18 chaoscosmos

chaoscosmos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mission Viejo CA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

With enough time available I could be interested in virtually everything, but one does have priorities.

Edit: Ball room dancing is definitely out of the question for me however, as long as this planet spins on its axis!

#19 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

you should care enough about your spouse to actively listen to/ask questions about whatever it is that they are passionate about.

Well, one of my wife’s interests is crochet which is almost impossible for me to give a darn (no pun intended) about. Probably my biggest interest is her determination to keep track of where every "stitch" goes and what kind. The end results are also sometimes beneficial.

#20 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

In the last 21onderful years SWMBO & I have been married, she's gone from Medieval re-enacting, to being a mom, to ceramics, to pottery, to making 1st aid kits from eyeglass cases, to decolletage, to shark tooth hunting (which turned into a unpublished how-to-book), to silver jewelry making (Using the sharks teeth), to writing a book on ghosts ( PUBLISHED! & unrepentant plug http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0764340107) to collecting rocks. I still do woodworking, & astronomy but added Scouts & Kayaking in the last 9 yrs.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

#21 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

My wife has the interest. She has though trouble seeing detail in many objects except Messier 57. She wish everything showed itself like the Ring.

#22 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:48 AM

For 30 years and counting my lovely bride has always supported my interest in astronomy. She knows it is a part of who I am, just as she is. She has no interest at all in it for herself, but she likes that I always tried to include the kids in it. The two older ones never took to it, the two younger ones have. I'm batting .500 and the "manager" is pleased.

#23 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

"...and I told Chuck that the C14 wasn't cooled completely - it had a heat plume for goodness sake - but did he listen?"

"You know men. They never listen. George was using Plossls with his new f/4.2. I told him that the edges would be a mess. I couldn't stand looking through them the astigmatism was so bad off axis, but stubborn as a mule he insisted on observing with them."

:lol:

#24 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

My wife isn't interested, but I'm pretty sure she thinks it's cool that I am. She will come out for 5 minutes to have a peek if I tell here there is something nice to see. She looks, but doesn't get excited. She has not been supportive of other expensive hobbies, but hasn't really complained about the money that's flown out the door for this one. That is one big tell for me.

But the biggest one, and the one that has me flabbergasted, is that she has already made *several* comments about adding a rooftop observatory!?!? That is truly baffling. Maybe it's just her way of trying to get my astronomy stuff out of the music room :grin:

#25 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Mine did too, and that among many other things is why she's my ex-wife.

Taras

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics