Photo

Wedge mounting instructions? Old C11 + old wedge.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

I finally got out to try the wedge the other night and ran into a problem. I don't seem to have a way to attach the wedge to the tripod. The wedge (bought used) came with 3 shorter hex bolts. I thought those were for attaching the wedge to the tripod, but now I'm thinking they are for attaching the scope to the wedge. If that's the case, then what usually holds the wedge to the tripod?

I'm guessing I'm missing some bolts and that the bolts that mount the scope to the tripod aren't used for the wedge?

Thanks!

#2 fernando jorge

fernando jorge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Montevideo, Uruguay

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

The short hex bolts are indeed used for attaching the wedge to the mount.

To attach the telescope to the wedge, you can see the bolts used here: http://www.cloudynig...8_inch_eq_we...

The bolts have a "plastic star" (sorry, don't know how to say that in english) to facilitate hand screwing/unscrewing

#3 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

No, that is a good description, thanks.

I don't have any "plastic star" bolts and the short bolts I have don't seem to thread into the tripod! I think the short bolts I have may hold the telescope on and I'll have to go to the Home Depot and get some that will attach the wedge to the tripod!

Thanks for the picture. It's similar, but not quite the same as mine!

#4 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

The wedge to tripod hub bolts are 5/16 NC [18TPI]. The wedge to mount base bolts are 3/8 NC [16TPI]. Be careful with the latter. They should olny be long enough to go into the base about 1/2" to avoid hitting the RA drive mechanism.

A good source for tooless fasteners is ttrackusa.com.

#5 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for that!
I bought the smaller bolts for putting the wedge onto the tripod (5/16 - 18's) and now I can do that.

It seems I have the right size bolts in the small hex head + washer variety for hooking the scope to the tripod. I'm thinking about getting some rosette grip head types to make it easier... but just need to figure out what length to order.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_lscr1.htm

I imagine either these:
$9.00 - #SR3I38x34 - 3/8-16 x 3/4 inch, Package of 3 Rosette Thumbscrews

or these:
$9.00 - #SR3I38x1 - 3/8-16 x 1 inch, Package of 3 Rosette Thumbscrews

I haven't tried with the small bolts yet, so may hold off ordering the others until I've tried with the hex head ones.

Nearly there!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics