A plan to change lamppost bulbs around me

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

• Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

I found better light bulbs to use in lampposts by (yes, this is true) having dinner with my wife at a Texas Roadhouse recently. But rather than rehash that story, you can read all about it here.

The important aspect is the takeaway: The light bulbs themselves. So if the blog post is tl;dr, just know this: These look like regular incandescent bulbs, but with half of the "globe" (or non-socket end) silvered. For a post lamp, where the socket is turned down, this will block ALL direct uplighting! Plus, it directs all of that previously uplighting DOWN to the ground, actually making the surrounding area appear better lit (of course, dimmer bulbs could be used too, but one step at a time for most folks, right?).

Yesterday I got the 60W and 25W ones I ordered; the 40W haven't arrived yet. Last night I quickly put at 60W into the post lamp I was going to change, but now won't, as it will make a nice example. My wife even remarked, "Wow...that's quite a difference" and I had to agree: No glare, more ground lighting, and although some reflected light went back up, none was going directly up from the bulb filament. Importantly for skittish people hesitant to try these, there was enough light bouncing up from the fixture to be able to see faces easily.

I'm excited about these. I am going to make an effort to put them in all of the post lamps in my neighborhood, and initially I'll even spend my own money to get as many changed as I can. I will literally go door to door, and say, "Hey, can I change the bulb in your post lamp? I'd like you to be able to see better, without glare, but improving visibility."

Or... something like that.

We'll see how it goes. But I think this could really make an impact. And if it costs me $30 or $50 or $100 to do it - who cares, especially if I have improved the local light pollution and light trespass in my immediate area. Plus, if we ALL did something like this, that will increase demand, which can bring down the prices of the bulbs - and perhaps get more people to want to buy them on their own, or encourage stores to stock them.

Thoughts? I'll post some pictures of the bulbs and the comparison of my own lamppost soon!

#2 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Sounds like a worthwhile plan David. Can you provide a linky please.
Sometimes it pays to take the better half out to dinner, right.

#3 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

Gotta scroll down a few to get to the standard base ones, but here's a link to what I mean:

http://1000bulbs.com...be-light-bulbs/

I actually got mine at another site called Light Bulb Emporium, but they are a little harder to search for there, as they don't have a separate category with just that style of bulb.

Thunderstorms tonight is preventing me from taking any pictures, and storms forecast for the rest of the week. If it lets up when it's dark, I'll get comparison shots, but for now, that'll have to wait, unfortunately.

#4 germana1

germana1

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

I'm also interested in these bulbs as I also would change my nabours bulbs also for free, great idea.
Pete

#5 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Here is a "before" picture, taken in my backyard, where I have an existing postlamp at the edge of our patio, near our garage:

Posted Image

And here is the "after" picture, swapping out the 60W regular bulb to the silver crown top bulb. Note that I controlled for exposure, aperture and ISO, by ensuring they were the same for both pictures.

Posted Image

What the picture does convey well is the difference between uplighting and controlled, downlighting. Note how the gutter on the garage is barely lit in the "after" picture. In the "before" one, it is clearly lit up, and that is more than 8 feet high. The post lamp itself is at about 6 to 6.5 feet.

What the picture does NOT convey well is that in the "before" situation, the whole roof of my garage was completely lit up. Also, after swapping out to the new bulb, the lighting in the entire area was actually better than before, because there was no glare, no uplighting, yet if I needed to see anywhere - faces, people, whatever, it was perfectly lit. These are a fantastic way to control lights on post lamps, no doubt about it.

Hopefully I can convince many of my neighbors to let me put these in their postlamps to reduce light trespass / glare / uplighting around me.

#6 germana1

germana1

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Where can I find these bulbs, Home Depot?
Pete

#7 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Your "after" picture is not coming thru; perhaps repost the image?

#8 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Your "after" picture is not shown, without going to the Photobucket site. Difficult to compare them when they are not posted together.

#9 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

That's odd Carol - it shows up for me. Anyone else having trouble?

#10 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Where can I find these bulbs, Home Depot?
Pete

They may be, but I have never seen them at retail outlets, that I remember. There is a link in my second post above where they can be purchased, or search for them here at this site, which has a little better pricing, but makes them a little harder to find:

http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/

#11 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

That's odd Carol - it shows up for me. Anyone else having trouble?

:foreheadslap: Now it's showing up! Before there was just an X, that took me to another site.

It must truly have been "magic"! :lol:

On topic; that's a very nice change between the two photos. Thanks for bringing these bulbs to our attention!

#12 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

I take no credit for anything magical happening. :)

Glad to share this info - I have no financial interest whatsoever in any of the bulb manufacturers or retailers. This is purely, "How can we make a better sky" and I can't help but think if I can just get people to try them, they'll like them.

Which leads me to a great point my wife made. With respect to one of our neighbors that leaves their post lamp on 24/7/365, she suggested I ask them to just try it for a month. Now, I worry that after a month they'll say, "Don't like it - nuts to you, put up heavier curtains" but at the same time, often times the initial change is the hardest. So this is a "softer" approach rather than, "Change your lights for good" and can be viewed as beneficial to them, since they are only "trying it" for 30 days.

But - as I should know from sales! - get someone to "temporarily" try something for a period of time, and it very often becomes "permanent" as they adjust and get used to it. So I'd suggest that as a strategy for others - if you do buy these bulbs and have a "prickly" neighbor not given to changing their lights, ask them to try it for 30 days. It may not ultimately win them over, but then again... it just might.

#13 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Here is a picture of two different types of bulbs. These apparently ARE incandescents, which may not bode well for future acquisitions in the United States, at least. So in the meantime, here are some of the names of these bulbs and manufacturers that I have found for some - this may make it easier to find them (for now):

Satco Silver Crown Light Bulb 60W
Satco Silver Crown Globe Light 25W

On the 1000bulbs.com website they call this category "Silver Bowl Incandescent Light Bulbs". There are also some frosted versions available by Halco, Philips and Sylvania. Satco and Bulbrite appear to make the non-frosted versions.

Here's a link to the silver bowl bulbs at 1000Bulbs.
And a link to them at LightBulbEmporium, where I bought mine, but again, you have to search a little harder there to find each one.

These seem to be the best-priced sites I have found. Please feel free to share others if you find them.

Posted Image

#14 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

very clear results from the bulb swap. kudos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics