• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

Can you attach a PVS-14 to a telescope? The objective lens has threads (female) and I measure the internal distance to be 29.5mm. I was wondering if there was an adapter out there that would fit these threads and have a 1.25" slip nose on it? Anyone done this or know what I would need?

Thanks,

Rob

Attached Files

#2 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: W. Coast

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

Can you attach a PVS-14 to a telescope? The objective lens has threads (female) and I measure the internal distance to be 29.5mm. I was wondering if there was an adapter out there that would fit these threads and have a 1.25" slip nose on it? Anyone done this or know what I would need?

Thanks,

Rob

You should contact CN user 'cnoct'. He has done this before. I think he had to fashion a 1.25 inch tube to fit either into the PVS-14 housing or over the objective but with the objective glass removed - I don't remember exactly.

Or just search for some posts by 'cnoct' on CN.

#3 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

I ordered some adapters and we'll see in a few weeks if I came up with something...

Rob

#4 cnoct

cnoct

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

There are two way's I've used a PVS-14 with a telescope, both ways are depicted in the following photos.

Both ways work, the afocal mounting is not ideal but does work. Ideally you'd want to remove any optical train/assembly between the telescope and photo cathode, as the last 6 photos show. I used the objective lens cell housing from a PVS-5A, the lens elements were of course removed.

Afocal...

Posted Image

And...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: W. Coast

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

cnoct, for the non-afocal connection, where did you get the silver part? Did you make it or scavange it from something else? And, how did you attach it to the PVS-5a objective housing? Is it glued or press fit or what?

Thanks.

#6 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Okay so I got my parts in today and everything mates up very nicely. You don't have to remove anything from or alter the PVS-14 in any way with the parts I used.

You can use these parts to attach it to an eyepiece or you can attach it to a scope without an eyepiece using a nose cone or just t-thread adapters.

See the pictures. I hope this helps others and I can't wait to try it out. I also have ordered parts for attaching a camera to the other end of the PVS-14 and I'll report back how those work out.

Rob

PVS-14 Gen 3 Pinnacle Night Enforcer /w weapon mount for Aimpoint Twist Base

Posted Image
Posted Image

Camera to T-thread Ring for Sony HDR-CX150 Video Camera 30mm (Scopestuff Item#TTSH)

Posted Image
Posted Image

PVS-14 with Camera to T-thread Ring attached

Posted Image
Posted Image

Televue Nagler 31

Posted Image

Televue Nagler 31 with rubber eye cup removed

Posted Image

AdaptaView Eyepiece Adapter (Telescopeadapters.com part# AVIEW

Posted Image

TV Nagler 31 with AdaptaView attached

Posted Image

PVS-14 and Eyepiece ready to be mated

http://farm9.staticf...9e95caeee_z.jpg

PVS-14 attached to Eyepiece

http://farm9.staticf...6fb89cc05_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticf...675a30a39_z.jpg

1.25" nose cone from Atik 460ex

http://farm9.staticf...3beaf8984_z.jpg

PVS-14 with Camera to T-thread Ring ready to attach to 1.25" nose cone from Atik 460ex

http://farm9.staticf...bb7929c20_z.jpg

PVS-14 with 1.25" nose cone attached

http://farm9.staticf...0f9b25eba_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticf...a1ddb2279_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticf...04a28eba0_z.jpg

#7 cnoct

cnoct

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:25 AM

cnoct, for the non-afocal connection, where did you get the silver part? Did you make it or scavange it from something else? And, how did you attach it to the PVS-5a objective housing? Is it glued or press fit or what?

Thanks.

jdbastro,

The silver 1.25" nose piece was scavenged from a broken Meade 8-24mm eyepiece. The PVS-5 objective lens housing and 1.25" nose piece are permanently bonded with Loctite 638.

Take Care

Okay so I got my parts in today and everything mates up very nicely. You don't have to remove anything from or alter the PVS-14 in any way with the parts I used.

You can use these parts to attach it to an eyepiece or you can attach it to a scope without an eyepiece using a nose cone or just t-thread adapters.

See the pictures. I hope this helps others and I can't wait to try it out. I also have ordered parts for attaching a camera to the other end of the PVS-14 and I'll report back how those work out.

Rob

Rob,

Your afocal imaging setup is really nice and well thought out, great going.

The 2nd method, wherein the PVS-14 replaces the eyepiece, is really intriguing, didn't know it was possible. Once your able to test this method, do post your findings. In the mean time could you explain how this would be an optically compatible option?

If you get the chance, definitely do some prime focus viewing with an image intensified eyepiece/device, by far the best way to use image intensifiers and telescopes.

As far as attaching a camera to the PVS-14's ocular, consider the following if you are using a DSLR/SLR: B&H Photo

Posted Image

If you plan on attaching a point and shoot, then there are a lot of options which I'm sure you'll find the best for your camera and taste.

If your going the iPhone route, then consider some of the following options:
Magnifi or US NightVision. There are other iPhone adapters as well, it comes down to preference.

My preference for attaching a DSLR is either the split ring adapter (pictured and linked above) or the extremely rigid housing adapter, both are pictured below. The latter is not made anymore, at least as far as I know, though you might be able to track some NOS ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are a lot of options for using a PVS-14 in an afocal setup and just as many options for attaching a camera to a PVS-14.

Thank you for showing how your doing it.

Take Care

#8 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Rob,

Your afocal imaging setup is really nice and well thought out, great going.

The 2nd method, wherein the PVS-14 replaces the eyepiece, is really intriguing, didn't know it was possible. Once your able to test this method, do post your findings. In the mean time could you explain how this would be an optically compatible option?

If you get the chance, definitely do some prime focus viewing with an image intensified eyepiece/device, by far the best way to use image intensifiers and telescopes.

As far as attaching a camera to the PVS-14's ocular, consider the following if you are using a DSLR/SLR: B&H Photo

Posted Image

If you plan on attaching a point and shoot, then there are a lot of options which I'm sure you'll find the best for your camera and taste.

If your going the iPhone route, then consider some of the following options:
Magnifi or US NightVision. There are other iPhone adapters as well, it comes down to preference.

My preference for attaching a DSLR is either the split ring adapter (pictured and linked above) or the extremely rigid housing adapter, both are pictured below. The latter is not made anymore, at least as far as I know, though you might be able to track some NOS ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are a lot of options for using a PVS-14 in an afocal setup and just as many options for attaching a camera to a PVS-14.

Thank you for showing how your doing it.

Take Care

Thanks for the complement!

On your question about the PVS replacing the EP, I don't really understand. Are you talking about putting the 1.25" nose cone on it (but that is what you did too)?

I haven't done anything new from what you did, I don't believe. One way attaches the PVS-14 to an EP for afocal viewing/photography and the other way attaches a nose cone for prime viewing/photography.

I have only used the afocal viewing so far (first time last night) and it wasn't all that impressive in my ED80T refractor. I imagine it will be much better in my CPC1100, Orion 10xtg, or Obsession 25" f4.

As far as attaching a camera, I actually ordered the exact part you suggested from B&H Photo as well. I also ordered various step-down rings so that I can get it to mount with variou DSLR lens I have AND the t-threads on my Atik 460ex.

I've got lots of experimenting to do but I am excited. I think this will give me the visual I always wanted, granted, using a large enough aperture.

Thanks,

Rob

#9 cnoct

cnoct

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for the complement!

On your question about the PVS replacing the EP, I don't really understand. Are you talking about putting the 1.25" nose cone on it (but that is what you did too)?

I haven't done anything new from what you did, I don't believe. One way attaches the PVS-14 to an EP for afocal viewing/photography and the other way attaches a nose cone for prime viewing/photography.

No, you haven't done anything new, though your "prime" configuration is not actually "prime". The configuration in which you have a prime lens (monocular objective) in line with another prime lens is so optically incompatible as to be of no use, unless your using the monocular to inspect the secondary and that's if you can get the PVS-14 to focus that close. i.e. won't be of much use. There's certainly no harm in trying this configuration, I encourage you to do so, experimentation is a great teacher and as you said, you've "got lots of experimenting to do".

Yes, your "prime" configuration is far different from that which I've shown and described. There's a reason a PVS-5A objective was gutted of it's optical elements and rigged to a 1.25" barrel. This was done so that the telescope could take the place of the objective (prime lens) and become the prime lens.

I have only used the afocal viewing so far (first time last night) and it wasn't all that impressive in my ED80T refractor. I imagine it will be much better in my CPC1100, Orion 10xtg, or Obsession 25" f4.

As far as attaching a camera, I actually ordered the exact part you suggested from B&H Photo as well. I also ordered various step-down rings so that I can get it to mount with variou DSLR lens I have AND the t-threads on my Atik 460ex.

Unless the Atik is using a macro lens, it will not work in the configuration your considering. The ocular on the PVS-14 doesn't have nor does it produce an exit pupil, so you'll have a impossibly tough time doing any form imaging using eyepiece projection. A bare sensor, with no focusing optic placed behind the PVS-14's ocular will yield nothing.

I've got lots of experimenting to do but I am excited. I think this will give me the visual I always wanted, granted, using a large enough aperture.

I do think image intensifiers will do this for you though consider ditching the PVS-14 for I2 astronomy. Take a look at some of the following options, they all have a c-mount interface allowing them to be easily used in a prime configuration.

1 - Nght Vision Depot's Micro Monocular *the best housing currently made, well except for the FLIR M3NV (aka MK-880, NQ6010)*

2 - M703E ENVIS Night Monocular from one of the following: KERIF, Knesek Guns or Aurora Tactical

3 - LRS Night Vision Monocular from N-VISION OPTICS *this mono has an optional relay lens available, making it a really good choice for videography. There are some good demo videos with it here: LRS Videos.

It is really great to have another I2 enthusiast/astronomer posting.

Take Care!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics