• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

I'm getting a DSV mount, but I have a choice of DSV-1 or DSV-2. I want to mount 2 scopes: a SV Raptor 90 triplet with CF tube on one side and my old ETX-90 OTA on the other side. If I get the DSV-2 I would plan to use it without the QBS balancing system as I think I could balance it pretty well by moving the tube dovetails. I don't plan to change EPs much: widefield views with an ES 24mm 82 degree EP (1.5 lb) on the SVR90T and a Baader 8-24 zoom on the ETX (max mag 156x).

I've been reading the posts and there seems to be debate over the value of the slow-motion controls which are the attractive feature of the DSV-2 and the advantage of the DSV-1 seems to be that it relies more on the clutch/brake system than on balance, which I understand is pretty critical for the DSV-2.

Recommendations as to which to get?

Thanks, Keith

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

If your maximum mag is about 150x, then you really won't need the slow motion controls. I have the DSV-1 with the two saddles and find that the pan handle works fine for views up to around 170x. Having wide view eyepieces help too so you don't have to adjust the position as often.

But the ball bearing axes makes the motion buttery smooth, even loaded up with 2 scopes. I've used mine with a 90mm ED refractor on one side and a C8 or C5 SCT on the other. I use a "shorty" contractor's tripod and it's very steady. Works great!

-Dan

#3 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

Thanks Dan. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the DSV-2 and DSV-3 but not so much on the DSV-1 so your info is really helpful.
...Keith

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics