Target suggestions (Luna)?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hello there Moon Fans. I have on loan from another CNer a nice looking 4" achromat that I would like to compare to a number of other 4" refractors. I'll have the scope only for a couple of weeks, so Luna is going to be present in all her glory during the bulk of my tenure with the telescope.

Rather than contend with her brilliance and chase DSOs, I would like to include some lunar targets to be used in multi-scope, same night head to head comparison. As a youth I used to do a lot of lunar observing, but in my dotage I've lost my way. I figured those who haven't abandoned the Moon could suggest a few 4-inch "challenge" targets or regions visible this Friday and Saturday. I figured Saturday night Plato craterlets might be fun, but that's about my only rather unimaginative idea.

Were you in my shoes, what targets would you choose for Friday and Saturday. I'll probably be using Rukl as a reference, if that helps.

Many thanks!

- Jim

#2 FeynmanFan

FeynmanFan

Viking 1

• Loc: N Colo front range

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Jim-
How about the Triesnecker-Hyginus region? The rilles near Triesnecker vary from fairly prominent to pretty obscure. And Rima Hyginus provides some opportunity too; the rille itself is pretty easy, but there are crater chains that could prove a challenge.

If there is insufficient relief because of the Sun's altitude, you'll obviously have more opportunities during the waning gibbous phase.

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Thanks Chris. I will check those out.

Regards,

Jim

#4 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Maybe the Davy crater chain (Catena Davy), although resolving many of the craterlets will be difficult in a four inch.

#5 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Thank you, David.

Regards,

Jim

#6 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Brentwood (East Bay Area), CA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

There are some craterlets in Clavius that would be a good test for your scopes. I dug up this pic (by photonovore) from the CN archives, which gives craterlet sizes in km:

Rob

Attached Files

#7 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thank you, sir!

- Jim

#8 darthwyll

darthwyll

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Jim, are you familiar with the Asrtonomical League? They have two programs set up for Lunar observation. Lunar 1 is a list of about 100 objects that are really quite nice. Lunar 2 is more advanced and in depth. I suggest at least taking a peek at the list and searching for some of those. It really opened my eyes to what's really up there!

http://www.astroleag...nar/lunar1.html

http://www.astroleag...I/lunarII1.html

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics