Photo

Discmount on the TV Gibraltar ash tripod?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chaoscosmos

chaoscosmos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mission Viejo CA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hey all...

I'm wondering if anyone knows if a DM6 can be mounted on a Gibraltar ash tripod. If you have done so and have photos, all the better. Tom at Discmount is at NEAF and I'm not sure if he's returning phone calls until return. I can't tell for sure looking on the Discmount website. I have thought about a Berlebach Uni 14 for the DM6 if the Gibraltar tripod wouldn't work, and the Berlebach apparently takes 3 weeks for delivery.

Thanks...

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

I suppose it can be done using a 3/8"-16 stud of sufficient length, but the Gibraltar tripod base does not have that much surface area for the 6" diameter base of the DM-6 to sit on and would not be the best match, IMO.

#3 chaoscosmos

chaoscosmos

Mariner 2

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Jim, I wasn't thinking of using the Gibraltar base. More wondering if the Discmount base would fit the Gibraltar tripod legs, or if Tom has an adaptor that would allow it to work. Looks like he has adaptors for Losmandy and AP tripods, but that's all I see on his website.

#4 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

Ray:

The DM-6 mount head has a flat base with a 3/8"-16 threaded hole with no accommodation for just tripod legs. It matches best with a tripod that has a flat base with a 3/8" stud.

I received my Planet tripod one week after I ordered from Berlebach.

Attached Files

#5 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

• Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Not sure what you want to carry but Oberwerk tripods have a flat base and can be ordered with a 3/8" stud. I just got one to mount my Vixen PortaII to carry my AT106 and it works great. Seconds can be had on their website for a lot less that a Berlebach and readily available.

#6 chaoscosmos

chaoscosmos

Mariner 2

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

It's to mount a Televue 101. No first hand knowledge, but it seems I have read here the Oberwerk tripods aren't that great..?

#7 davebuechler

davebuechler

Viking 1

• Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hi Ray,

I recently upgraded from the standard tripod that comes with the Porta II. Like said, I am very happy with mine although I don't expect it is to the same build standard as a Berlebach. Just thought I would mention it as a possible option but might not be what you're looking for.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics