• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

im going try to use the manual setting circeles on my altazimuth mount. I have a laptop but im not sure I wont to drag it out on the patio to get coordinate readings. I don't have a cell phone, In one of the instructions online a person was using a pocket pc. it looked real neat so I went to staples and ask about one, they didn't even know what they were. its small a don't take up a lot of room. just wondering what you use for this. would appreciate some advice on this. thanks, donnie

#2 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

For a minimalist approach you could write down the future co-ordinates of objects you are interested in from your planetarium software, for say something like 15min intervals. Take the list and a watch outside and go to it.
I have done this in the past and it does work fine until you lose track of the time. Probably a little to restrictive in the long run.
Other than phones, tablets and laptops are basically what are used the most. The Nexus7 is a popular tablet for this and still on my wish list.
Why not the laptop? Any electronic device you use will be exposed to the night air. People have been using them outdoors for years.

Eric

#3 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

thanks beatlejuice, you have a point about the laptop. I guess ill just take it out side and test it out. im kind of new at this ( I have digital setting circles ) the reason im trying this out is my curiousity just to see how well it works. thanks again, donnie

#4 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Donnie, you will eventually want to get something red to cover the screen so that you can still read it but dim enough to protect your night vision. There are several threads on this topic.

Eric

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

thanks beatlejuice, you have a point about the laptop. I guess ill just take it out side and test it out. im kind of new at this ( I have digital setting circles ) the reason im trying this out is my curiousity just to see how well it works. thanks again, donnie

How well will it work? Passably well. It is very important to get the scope as level as you possibly can. If you do that it will get you close to objects. Some will even be in he field of a low power eyepiece. Not all, but some. ;)

#6 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

rod, if I can just get close I will be happy. trying to star hop in my semi light polluted area can be frustrating to say the least. my software on my laptop ( sky6) has a night feature where I can turn the screen red. donnie

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics