• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

I just got in my new Speco VM-905C and it hums pretty loudly when turned on. It seems to work fine otherwise. I wondered if it was a ground loop issue but I haven't moved it into the house and tried different plugs to see.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Rob

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

Rob,

It may be helpful clarify "hum".
Hum in three or four different context:
1) in audio channel, AC hum is heard over the speaker
2) in video display screen, a screen pattern (usually a horizontal bar slowly rolling up or down) is seen
3) a low-pitch sound is heard inside the monitor, that seems to be tied with a component buzzing (typically a transformer casing)
4) very brief zapping style humming, then quickly fade out within 3-5 sec. After that event (power on the monitor, hear that sound, immediately turn off the monitor), then immediately turn on the monitor, the sound won't come back. (then it's the deGauss mechanism.)

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

no hum here.. ho hum.

#4 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Neither of my Speco monitors make any noise when operating.

Jack Huerkamp

#5 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Rob,

It may be helpful clarify "hum".
Ham in three or four different context:
1) in audio channel, AC hum is heard over the speaker
2) in video display screen, a screen pattern (usually a horizontal bar slowly rolling up or down) is seen
3) a low-pitch sound is heard inside the monitor, that seems to be tied with a component buzzing (typically a transformer casing)
4) very brief zapping style humming, then quickly fade out within 3-5 sec. After that event (power on the monitor, hear that sound, immediately turn off the monitor), then immediately turn on the monitor, the sound won't come back. (then it's the deGauss mechanism.)

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

I believe it was either 3) or 4) or some combination. It didn't stop 3-5 seconds after turning on the monitor but it did stop at some point (15-30 minutes maybe?).

I'll have to pay better attention tonight. My Atlas mount makes a faint high pitched hum that never stops (the mount seems to work just fine) and I think with that going on too and then loud music I turned on at some point, I don't really know when the monitor hum stopped or if it just got very quiet.

It was quite loud when it started up with power on.

Rob

P.S. I got the Speco becuase I thought the 15" LCD TV I was using looked terrible. I used the pass through feature of the Speco to have them both going at once and then used the Speco's picture to 'tune' my LCD. My LCD looks way better now. I can't match the 'blackness' of the background of the CRT but it sure looks better now. I also had the LCD on wide screen before which, of course, made the picture look worse. Speco still rules though :) but the LCD stars look much less 'blocky' to me than they did before making adjustments.

#6 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Very good.

#7 Devon

Devon

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: OK

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Does your Speco hum.....
Gee, I know there's a joke in there somewhere...

Devon :foreheadslap:

#8 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

Does your Speco hum.....
Gee, I know there's a joke in there somewhere...

Devon :foreheadslap:

No, mine knows the words! :lalalala:

Seriously though, mine does make a 'noise' on startup - degaussing? - but is slient in operation

Don:usa:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics