Photo

Club Facebook page suggestions please

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Devildadeo

Devildadeo

Sputnik

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Our club just tonight started a Facebook page. I was hoping that some of you are in clubs with successful Facebook presences and could offer a few suggestions on which way to take this. My idea was the standard PSA type stuff about celestial events and notifications about club outings and public nights at our observatory. Then using those to comment on the pages of local news and educational organizations to get the word out. Any other fun ideas you wouldn't mind sharing? I'd also love links to your club's pages so I could poke around too. I'll "like" them, I promise. ;)

Clear skies,
Rock

#2 Astrosetz

Astrosetz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Here's ours: https://www.facebook.com/NCSFAstronomy

#3 BarbMoore

BarbMoore

Mariner 2

• Loc: South central New Mexico

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

This is our group's. We haven't had a Facebook presence for very long. https://www.facebook...stronomersGroup

#4 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Rock,
Remember some folx don't/won't/can't do FB. I can at home (on my glacially slow connection), I can't at work (Network denied, but a 3T connection)..

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

#5 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: East of Poskin

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Yup on the will not use FB personally. There are a few of us out there although I wouldn't let that stop you! I'd guess the percentage of non-users is incredibly small and of no consequence...therefore I had to add it to the mix I guess.

Well, have fun!

#6 Astrosetz

Astrosetz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

There are over 1 billion active users of Facebook, and way back in April 2010 an estimated 41% of the entire US population had an account. It's a *huge* audience and very effective at local communication. I posted a picture of our club members at a regional convention and at last check it reached 602 people (we have 191 people who "like" our page). We've had two new members join our group this year after discovering us on Facebook. I'm a huge believer in social media for astronomy outreach.

#7 Devildadeo

Devildadeo

Sputnik

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

I agree with you Astrosetz. The potential audience is to large to pass up.

Thanks for posting your pages. Once we've got ours up and running properly I'll add the link to ours.

#8 darthwyll

darthwyll

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

I set up a facebook for the Astronomical Society of South East Texas a while ago and it has been a huge success for our club. We have over 170 "likes" and have had people find us on FB and come join the club, attend our classes etc. We do the typical posting of astro events and such and everyone loves it. We update on star parties, meetings, special events, guest speakers and whatever else we are doing at the time. It's a great way for people to quickly access your clubs info and seek you out. You can also get your webmaster to integrate the facebook feed into your clubs main page so that anyone who finds your web site can see the facebook and twitter feed. You can see what I’m talking about on ours: www.asset-astronomer.org

A while back I started doing a trivia question. The prize is something someone donated or that the club had lying around to give away, like calendars, planishperes, star maps, etc. Those who answer the question MUST show up to the meeting to claim their prize. This gets you people in the door and helps boost your online footprint. The way I work it is that the first person to answer correctly (and shows up) gets the prize. I'll go down the list of correct responses until I get to someone who came to the meeting, then we have a winner! It's great fun for the fans and for you too. Coming up with the question is always fun.

I agree that it draws a huge crowd and is extremely effective if used often. Make daily or weekly posts if you can and it keeps you in people's news feeds. That is what you want. Anyway I hope my experience helps! Look us up and like us if you're on FB.

#9 Astrosetz

Astrosetz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

The trivia question is a GREAT idea! You don't mind if I shamelessly steal that for our club up north, do you? :)

#10 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Astrosetz,
Don't get me wrong folx, I do have a FB account, & check it ~1x week, but some folx don't/won't/can't do FB. Same thing with Youtube. I can't do that either for the same reasons. Really stinks. I'm also not saying not to do FB, but add the link to it on a homepage if your club has one, which is also a very good idea.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

#11 Astrosetz

Astrosetz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Startraffic -- good point on needing a general website in addition to social media. Not only for those who aren't on Facebook/Twitter/Google+ but also because you have a lot more flexibility on layout and content.

Side note -- it's really easy to insert a window into a webpage that has the latest "favorite" post from a Twitter account. We use this for "up to the minute" information, go/no go type stuff, on our website. It allows anyone who has access to the club Twitter account to update that little section of the club website from just about anywhere from any device :)

#12 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Here's the Astronomical Society of Harriburg's Naylor Observatory FB page:

https://www.facebook...119936231417958

Dave Mitsky

#13 jmartin

jmartin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

The Corpus Christi Astronomical Society has recently went to facebook and it does get info out there.

CCAS

#14 Devildadeo

Devildadeo

Sputnik

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

thanks for the posts guys. I've "liked" them both. Keep them coming. BTW, great cover photo on CCAS!

#15 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

I have had an Astronomy Israel Facebook page for over two years. Now with over 2500 "Likes". https://www.facebook...AstronomyIsrael

If you want to coordinate a group of people it's great for that. If you want to reach out to the great Unwashed that will cost you advertising dollars. Facebook only shows your page to about 6% of the Likers unless they expicitly choose to follow you. Otherwise you have to pay to reach them.

/Ira

#16 Devildadeo

Devildadeo

Sputnik

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

I like what you're doing there Ira. The PSA portion of the page is important to me. I have hit the "promote" button to see the rates before. I have yet to try it with the club page though. We haven't yet worked out a clear vision for our message. Hopefully we can do that at our next member meeting. You now have 2546 likes. ;)

#17 sleepy

sleepy

9/11 Medic

• Loc: The Columbia Gorge/ OR

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

Cool!
Check out the page we started... We could use a few likes...lool
Feel free to critique. :)
https://www.facebook...ronomers?ref=hl

#18 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

I like what you're doing there Ira. The PSA portion of the page is important to me. I have hit the "promote" button to see the rates before. I have yet to try it with the club page though. We haven't yet worked out a clear vision for our message. Hopefully we can do that at our next member meeting. You now have 2546 likes. ;)

Thanks! Now up to 2548! :)

/Ira

#19 omahaastro

omahaastro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, NE

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Omaha Astronomical Society... http://www.facebook.com/omahaastro

FB page is great for keeping public up to date on last minute cloud outs, posting photos from events as they're happening, etc, etc.

Here's a useful snippet which allows you to embed your FB feed on your website... for those who, for whatever reason, aren't on FB... just do a view source on the page to see the html/javascript.

http://www.omahaastro.com/embedfb.htm

#20 darthwyll

darthwyll

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

The trivia question is a GREAT idea! You don't mind if I shamelessly steal that for our club up north, do you? :)

Not at all! Enjoy :)

#21 mark379

mark379

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

Our club just tonight started a Facebook page. I was hoping that some of you are in clubs with successful Facebook presences and could offer a few suggestions on which way to take this. My idea was the standard PSA type stuff about celestial events and notifications about club outings and public nights at our observatory. Then using those to comment on the pages of local news and educational organizations to get the word out. Any other fun ideas you wouldn't mind sharing? I'd also love links to your club's pages so I could poke around too. I'll "like" them, I promise. ;)

Clear skies,
Rock

Here is a link to our club's facebook page as an example:

https://www.facebook...267336590035068

We post about astronomy news as well as observing nights, club activities, club astrophoto's etc... :)

#22 BSUObservatory

BSUObservatory

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bridgewater, MA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

I love the trivia question idea. I think I'd like to try something like it on our page.

I am extremely glad that I started a Facebook page for our observatory. Not only is it an easy way to keep people up to date, it is currently providing a bit of stability for us. Our University is switching websites and there's going to be a transition period in which the new site will be a bit bare. Thanks to Facebook, it's less of an issue. I have the Facebook page tied in to our Twitter account so that Facebook posts directly feed into it - very handy.

Here's the Bridgewater State University Facebook page: https://www.facebook...vatory/18813... .

We use a telephone hotline to convey event cancellations for those who don't use Facebook or Twitter, as well.

#23 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

I know our club has a very active facebook page, but to be truthful, I never set up a facebook account, and truthfully, don't care too. Just not into all that techie stuff, preferring the quiet, undisturbed life...

Have no problems with forums like this, or attending meetings, star parties, etc....Just not a facebook person...or twitter for that matter. Can't wait for my smart phone contract to expire so I can smash the Win8 phone and get a "dumb phone", the kind that rings and you can answer it without going thru a swipe, punch, punch, punch just to answer the phone!!

#24 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Here is the page for the Forsyth Astronomical Society. You should also look at using Google+ we have a page there also. The benefits with it are being able to control more of what is posted and what you see. Plus the Google Hangouts feature is something we're going to be looking at using to do simulcasts of our club programs. I personally prefer G+ over FB but it doesn't have as many users. I suspect that will change the more FB pursues it's commercial revenue streams. I think people will be bailing once they get a full does of intrusive advertising every time the log on.

#25 sleepy

sleepy

9/11 Medic

• Loc: The Columbia Gorge/ OR

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Check out "Columbia Gorge Amateur Astronomers"

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics