• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

I have only used a dob or CPC (with and without a wedge) but now I am using an Atlas mount.

Taking m51 for an example. I know when I do my alignment and then am imaging m51 at somepoint past 2am my Atik460ex would likely hit my pier.

I know this is why I need to do a meridian flip, but how do I do this? Will the Atlas do this for me somehow or do I have to turn it off/on and realign and this time it will look at the targets in that part of the sky in a different way knowing what time of night it is?

Thanks for your help.

Rob

#2 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Once the target crosses the meridian, you do a goto to the target and the mount flips itself.

AP, and I believe now Celestron allow you to flip the meridian in advance. In other words, if the target is approaching the meridian, but you want to go to bed, you can flip the meridian and image on the "wrong side". Then, when your target crosses the meridian, you don't have to change anything.

I don't know if the Atlas will do this, but if not, there should be a software solution that will.

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Software does this for you. Take a look at Sequence Generator Pro.

#4 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

Cool, I have SGP but haven't been using it lately as I have been doing visual astronomy.

Rob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics