• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hi there! I'm posting an image of Milky Way in the Vulpecula constellation from the last summer. I will have to give more attention to this region this year. The photo was taken on a night when the Milky Way looked really like milk near the horizon - clearly visible, but no structure. In the zenith it was fine. The photographed area was somewhere in the middle. Fortunately, image processing can make a magic.

Posted Image
Pentax 6x7, Takumar 400mm f/4 @5.6, 57 min, Kodak E200, Nikon Coolscan 8000 ED.

Clik here for higher resolution (5.9 Mpix).

Maybe you can note some "strange" patches in the image. Those are parts where I had to mask out some faults in scanning.

M.

#2 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

:bow: :bow: :like:

#3 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

Include me in shooting this area Michal. Lots of dark nebulae with spots of red. A great area to be sure. That 400 lens is working well for you.

igor

#4 Giorgos

Giorgos

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Excellent! Congratulations!

#5 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Very well done Michal. You've highlighted a very interesting and often neglected region of the Great Rift.

#6 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for your kind words, I really appreciate it.

#7 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

Here is Vulpecula in the version 2014! The original scan was not very good so I let done another one. I have also undertaken changes in my image processing technique. I hope the changes were for the better.
vul202014.jpg
Click on the photo for lower resolution and here for higher resolution.

Edited by Michal1, 13 October 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#8 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: CA, USA

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

Very nice.  The processing looks good.  What did you change in your processing?

Dave

#9 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

Dave, thanks. I learned several useful tricks during the last year. Here are those most important of them.

1) When I processed my image of IC1396, I learned how to make a HDR image from two frames with different exposure times. I roughly followed this tutorial. I found that this technique is useful even when I have only one image of the object. First, I process the photo normally by curves. But by doing this, the star centers get burned - appearing with no or little saturation. To recover the burned parts, I take the original image, at which the stars still have their color and use the HDR technique to transpant the original star centers to the adjusted image. 

2) To selectively increase saturation of pixels with low saturation. This helps to bring out the faint nebulosity and the colors of the dark areas.

3) For the correction of vignetting, photo editing software often offers a special function. However, other way showed up to give better results. First, I select the dark corners of the image by the lasso tool with the smoothing parameter as large as possible. Then I brighten the corners by Levels or Curves. It is better to make a rather small adjustment. Then I deselect and repeat the same procedure several times. When the vignetting is suppressed one can bring out better the natural features in the photographed scene.

4) When processing this image, I found another trick that seems to have potential. Usually, when I tuned the colors of the image by curves, I also affected brightness as the side effect. In Photoshop, it is better to make two layers and use one to control luminosity and the other to the colors.

#10 vandkc

vandkc

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

Very nicely done!  Great image.  Keep them coming!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics