EQ6 - Park, Home, Sync, EQMOD...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

1st off...if you loosen a clutch, is it just me or is home position and all your sync points gone?
I am a total newb to EQ mounts, maybe I missed something, but I was screwin around and guess I didn't have the RA clutch real tight, it slipped. Everything lost, start over.
Then, power cord wasn't seated very good and during a slew the mount lost power, everything lost.
I tried to put it back to Home position but that was kind of a joke, there doesn't seem to be a way to put it EXACTLY back in Home, just a rough version, even putting the setting circles back to zero the slews were way off. Am I missing something? (No I didn't read the manual, lol)
EQMOD...if I have the sync points, can I just drive the mount with that and not use a planetarium software? The software I got with the mount, Starry Nights Pro, drains the heck outta my laptop battery. Can I use SP to get to a target, then close the program? It seems to close EQMOD when I close the program, although I have noticed the mount is still making the same noise it makes when tracking.
Thanks!

#2 proteus5

proteus5

Apollo

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

Shawn, here's a video, about half way through it shows how to set the home position and mark the mount if you need it. Set Home position on EQ6

This is how I did my Atlas. I use Cartes du Ciel for the star charts. It's free. It also shuts down EQMOD when you exit it. Since I setup each time out I clear my alignment points each time and start new. Since you're pier mounted I wouldn't think you'd have to do that. As for alignment stars. I just select the bright ones on my way to my target for the night. I don't worry about one in the east, one in the west etc. (don't have that much clear sky anyway). Seems to work OK for me.

Yes if you lose power or unlock a clutch you've got to start over. As far as I know the mount has no way to really know where it starts from so it relies on you to set the home position, and start it from there. I set the home position using the video above, locked my clutches months ago, and have not touched them since. I park the mount at the end of the night, just double check there're tight and carry the mount in. Before going out, same thing, just make sure there're good and tight and carry the mount out. Hope this helps.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

It's just you. As long as the gears are not moved, nothing's lost--if you return the mount to exactly the same position.

There are various ways of putting the mount in home position. The easiest thing is probably making some marks on the dec and RA axes. I used glow in the dark paint. The EQMOD docs have information on how to establish home position.

Don't waste a lot of time precisely leveling the mount; it is not necessary. ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics