Can't get properly aligned with VX mount

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#76 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

I think I may see your problem. You don't have the spreader on your tripod.

#77 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

The spreader will help stabilize things. The "double star" phenomenon is probably from a periodic error. You should check to see if the trailing and doubling is in RA or Dec (East/West or North/South). If RA, it's periodic error. If Dec, it's polar alignment error.

Level isn't that big a deal as long as everything is stable. If you get the polar axis aligned with the pole, a little off level won't hurt (during tracking, you only turn around the polar axis).

#78 will1384

will1384

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

I think I may see your problem. You don't have the spreader on your tripod.

Its just like that during levelling and pointing the tripod, I don’t install the spreader until I put the VX head on the tripod.

#79 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

The spreader will usually change level when tightened fully!
Brian

#80 will1384

will1384

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

I got the Orion StarShoot AutoGuider in, and used it with my my 50mm guidescope, used PHD with default settings, out of about 15 images only about 4 were usable, they were 60 second exposures, the tripod was level, pointed north, I used a polarscope, and did the all star alignment.

Some of the images were double stars, but showing one of the two stars smaller than the other, it looked like the telescope shifted during the exposure.

And at least one time PHD seemed to lose control of the telescope allowing the star to drift about an inch across my screen.

And when I look at the 15 or so images I see that the stars are moving one image to the next.

Is it the settings in PHD, or my mount?

#81 will1384

will1384

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

I got it to work, one thing that helped is this:

Ultra-fast method of EQ polar alignment.

I put the the PVC pipe in the ground were I had been setting up every night, and then I left the VX tripod and head assembled, I just put in a storage shed when not in use.

All I have to do is carry the VX tripod and head out to the PVC pipes, mount the telescope, then do the two star alignment, add two calibration stars, pick a star to do the polar alignment, unsync, then PHD does the rest, the first night I got 40, 60 second exposures, only one was bad, I moved a cable, I think, the next night I did 74, 60 second exposures, all were perfect, it also helps that I now use an intervalometer.

All I need to do now is learn how to use Deep Sky Stacker and Photoshop to process the images.

Here is an image of my settings, I am sure they can be refined, but I am afraid to change them, I am thinking, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.", but am willing to try any suggestions.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics