Photo

Mounting a DM-6 to a Berlebach planet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joe H

Joe H

Vostok 1

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

I just ordered a Berlebach Planet and will be attaching a DM-6 to it any tips on how to do this?
Thanks
joe

#2 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

Mine is on an older AP wood tripod, I have the AP ADATRI and discmount's AP-tripod to DM6 adapter. I'm not sure if the ADATRI will fit your tripod but if it does, that might be what you need.

#3 ryderc1

ryderc1

Ranger 4

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

My Planet came from Berlebach directly and had a captive 3/8 threaded post with hand knob. A DM-6 will thread onto it with no modifications or adapters required. I later had a local machine shop drill and tap three holes on the tripod top plate so I could attach an AP ADATRI adapter so I could use the tripod with an AP mount. Discmounts sells an AP tripod adapter that allows the DM-6 to be attached to the ADATRI.

So whether you need an adapter or not depends on how your Planet is configured.

#4 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

My Planet came from Berlebach directly and had a captive 3/8 threaded post with hand knob.

Same here.

any tips

If you have the Disc Mount 8" extension, attach that first to the tripod, then the DM-6 head for an easier go of it. Otherwise, just plop the DM-6 head on top of the Planet, on center. Captive bolt threads right on.

Attached Files

#5 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Joe,

Congratulations. You will love the Planet. :)

If you ordered the Planet with the flat top (listed as DM6) , as mentioned above, it's easy as plunking the mount on the tripod and fastening the captive 3/8 bolt. Did you get the extension? There is no gripping material on the top of the Planet nor on the base of the DM6. Highly recommended to have something between the two pieces so it will not turn and will also aid in damping. You can purchase it from Tom (DM6 creator) or use a gasket material from auto parts store. Perfect stuff is the cork/rubber composite. Works great. Also, not a bad idea to put just a small bit of grease on the bolt threads. It helps to pull tightly without damaging the threads.

Anyway, let us know when you get it and of course pictures are always fun to see. :grin: Have fun.

Best, Linda B.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics