Photo

Please help! Is it me or is my CG-5 be defective?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 spsesq

spsesq

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

I just picked up a Celestron CG5 at NEAF Saturday. Took it home and set it up as per all instructions. I entered all the vital data (day time date location information) as required.

All information was accepted by the computer. Next I attempted to do the two,star align process when this happened:
1) the hand controller suggested a Western star. I accepted and the mount began to slew towards the proper area;
2) near the proper area the scope stopped. The hand controller still read slewing to Capella and the little icon (/) continued to spin;
3) the mount then started slewing again well past the proper area. The icon still was spinning and the mount continued to slew almost all the way around.
3) at no time did the controller request that Capella be centered in the finder or the eyepiece. It just kept slewing.

I did a rough polar alignment to start. I did everything the instructions stated including making sure that the origination positions were correct. I even did a factory Re-set and started from the beginning. I am lost. I even googled to see if this issue popped up on this site or any others and no luck. I am tearing out what little hair I have left. Did I do something wrong or is it the mount?

I want to bing it back tomorrow if this is a defective mount. :foreheadslap:

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

It's difficult to say. I have a CG5 and even with just an initial set up of using a compass, the first star is off, but usually within the FOV of the finder scope. Make sure that the power supply is correct. Are you using a battery? If so make sure that it's fully charged. Celestron mounts do funny things with lower than needed power.

Make sure that you are entering the proper information. I know you're sure, but I've seen it too many times that one bit of information is wrong. Daylight Savings Time is one of the major mistakes. Without being there, it's hard to say.

When you start your star alignment, do you have the mount set with the index marks on the RA and Dec axis lined up? After you use the polar scope to get things lined up, you have to put the mount back to the index marks lined up. If not, you'll have really bad alignment errors.

David

#3 spsesq

spsesq

Vostok 1

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for getting back. First I am using a direct power source. Same as my CGEM. It a RadioShack 12 volt converted plugged into an outlet and the cigarette lighter plug goes from there to my cg5.

I did have the index marks set up before I start the alignment process. The issue is that the motors slew then stop and start again, stop and start again never having stopped in the correct place and asking to center the star. First in the finder then in the eyepiece. I don't even get to that part. The scope just continues to slew.

As for the information. I am in NJ so I first put in my town's long and lat. I enter the military time then hit daylight savings and then then today's date. No issue there I have all that from my iPhone. I thinks the mount software may be defective.

#4 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: East of Poskin

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

If you can bring it back Sunday and try another I'd jump at the chance.

#5 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

yes on the return.. yes on doing a factory reset too.

#6 pjensen

pjensen

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Highland Village, Tx

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Did I do something wrong or is it the mount?

Have you checked the cables? It sounds like something is not clicked in all the way or is hooked up wrong.

My guess is it's a hardware problem. Get another one.

#7 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

Just to save you some headache, I would attempt to flash the firmware before returning to the manufacturer. Might be something as simple as corrupt firmware.

#8 cliffy54

cliffy54

Viking 1

• Loc: ma

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Is there a button stuck down on the hand control?

#9 spsesq

spsesq

Vostok 1

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Thank you all for your comments. I will attempt to reflash them firmware if I cannot get another unit from NEAF

#10 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

I bet it's your power supply. See if they'll loan you an AC adapter.

#11 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

Thank you all for your comments. I will attempt to reflash them firmware if I cannot get another unit from NEAF

My bet is on inconsistent power getting to the mount. I assume you're using the always-questionable 12V power cable supplied by Celestron. Have you spread the internal power pin on the mount-side female connector? That's always a first step with this kind of peculiar behavior. That center pin carries the + side of the 12V DC and is always suspect. Take a razor knife edge and use it to slightly open that pin. Try it again after this quick repair. My guess is that it'll work now. Of course, this is all dependent on having an adequate 12VDC power supply. Not to knock your Radio Shack supply, but that's another potential source of problems. RS does have a wonderful power cord replacement, however, that is far superior to the one supplied by Celestron. Here's a link to the cord I use. And here's a link to the Enercell Adaptaplug M that's the proper plug for the Celestron mounts.

Your problem sure sounds power related to me.

#12 spsesq

spsesq

Vostok 1

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Thank you for all you input.
As for the button stick, no not a problem.
As for power supply this power supply runs my CGEM no problem
As for the connection, it is loose and the threads to tighten the cord into the socket will not reach the screw set. I will try the power suggestion by opening up the pin slightly.
I even tried a new dec cable getting a new six pin cable this AM at radio shack and that didn't help.

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

The CG5 is a surprisingly power-hungry mount. The connector on the scope side is also prone to poor contact. Your problem is indicative of poor power:

1. If you haven't spread the pin halves on the mount side connector a little bit with a knife or a jeweler's screwdriver, do so.

2. Try a battery or a power supply that has higher current capacity.

#14 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

just something I found on my newly purchased CG-5, I have yet to try it outside but when playing with it the (DEC?) I think would slew funny, start and stop... I found the short cable (phone connection looking one) was not fully seated... It really had to be pushed it to seat properly. It looked and felt ok but that was the problem.. It sounds like your having same issues. Am away from mount so sorry for terms and not being more specific..
Kasey

#15 coinboy1

coinboy1

Messenger

• Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

I have had similar issues to what you described. I have had perfect alignments and go to's when connected to a 12v battery charger (6amp) and then failed ones that didnt even get near the star when using other power sources. I really think a good power source makes a big difference.

Also be sure to put in your location (latitude and longitude) that made a big difference but I do remember it being difficult to find that. I think in the Utilities menu. I would mess around with your power supply and menu settings. Also be sure the to check Daylight Savings Time.

#16 spsesq

spsesq

Vostok 1

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Thank you all for your kind assistance and ideas. I got in touch with OPT at NEAF this afternoon. Tanya with OPT called me back, They held another CG-5 for me and I drove up to exchange it. They were great about it. No questions asked, in fact they went over to the Celestron booth with my issue. Celestron said they had heard of this issue in rare cases. ( why can't I find the rare Picassso? Instead I get the rare defect?) OPT actually arranged for the Celestron guys to take the defective mount back with them to Torance.

Without much detail, I did get home with it, set it up and it works perfectly. I will take DaveJ's advice and get a different power plug. The one that comes with the mount will not thread and is prone to unplugging. I found that out too tonight. Why would Celestron design a plug that won't extend to thread?? Anyway thanks again to all of you for your time and thoughts!
Clear skies!
Steve

#17 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Glad it worked out, Steve! I like my CG5 and am sure that you will as well.

David

#18 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Steve,

The power cord was designed to screw onto the CGEM power socket and now the new AVX. It was never designed to fit the CG-5 in this way.

I'm glad things worked out for you so easily today. It's nice to hear that when things like this happen someone steps up to take care of the situation like OPT and Celestron did today.

Enjoy the new mount.I hope you have some clear skies tonight.

Stan

#19 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

Celestron said they had heard of this issue in rare cases.
Clear skies!
Steve

Ah yes, rare (cough).

#20 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

Well less than 5 out of 10 units, anyway. So less common than a working unit. :grin:

Regards,

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics