• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 foste1cc

foste1cc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Armada, MI

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

hey everyone, just wondering if anyone can tell me the pro's and cons to these two besides the one being a doublet and the other a triplet. i'm assuming the ed80t is the better of the two, but i don't want to purchase it if i can get away with the ed80 and save a few hundred.
Does having an unmodded dslr make a difference? i was reading elsewhere that saving up for some of these nice apo's are worthless if you don't have the right equipment to bring out the features they have.
I'm new to AP and have taken planetary and lunar pics, and a couple of M42, but plan on taking all the pics i can of whatever is up in the sky that night. So my intended imaging use of the scope would be for both wide field and smaller DSOs. So would one of these be more versatile?
I've been imaging with my c8 and tracking with orions 50mm SSAG, but have been reading i'm in for a head-ache imaging with the c8 for long exposure AP. So my plan was to purchase a nice, faster, apo refractor that could make imaging easier for me down the road.
Also, once i get an apo refractor, would you guys suggest tracking with my c8 and piggybacking the apo? or piggybacking the 50mm on the apo for tracking?
I'm not sure if one apo or the other would match up nicer with my equipment and which would be a better choice, feature wise and $ wise, for the current setup i have now (unmodded dslr, c8, AVX mount, 50mm SSAG)

thanks in advance for any input/suggestions! :cool:

#2 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

I have an ED80 that I got for imaging based on the reputation of the glass in it and have not been disappointed. It is 600mm vs 480mm for the ED80T which I prefer when imaging with the DSLR. I immediately replaced the focuser with a Moonlite and can't say enough good things about it. The Orion field flattener for short refractors works well with it and the APS-C sized sensors. I also have the Orion focal reducer which has a bit of issue in the corners. Scope, focuser rings, longer dovetail bar and field flattener were about $1000. Take a look at my images and decide for yourself. Hopefully someone with the ED80T will give you their view on it.

As to the DSLR mod, it helps a lot for emission nebula, but I'd start with things like star clusters, larger galaxies and reflection nebula anyway. Also, I don't care for images using an unmodified DSLR and a light pollution suppression filter. The color balance is hard to get corrected.

Just my 2 cents

#3 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

With a T2i, a focal length of around 480mm should be yielding about 1.9 arcsec per pixel. I'd say that's close to the optimum image scale for decent skies.

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

I have seen great pictures from both. I have the T so of course I would recommend that. :grin:

#5 jsines

jsines

Mariner 2

• Loc: Berkley. Michigan

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

I bought the ED80T and a Sirius mount last fall. I'm still very satisfied with the purchase. Sometimes I do think the focus slips a bit during imaging, I don't have exact proof yet, but I've read that others have replaced the focuser. I decided on the ED80T instead of the ED80 because my primary purpose is imaging, and although I've read great reviews of the ED80, I decided on the triplet instead of the doublet. I was concerned I may end up selling the ED80 to get the ED80T in the future. I've seen some great pictures with the ED80, though, so I may have never upgraded.

I got the ED80T last fall, and I modded my DSLR last month. I had no problems imaging with my unmodded DSLR, but the mod brings out much more red. I couldn't image the Rosette, for example, without a modded DSLR.

#6 foste1cc

foste1cc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Armada, MI

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! I'm starting to lean a little more towards the ED80T. If anyone else has more suggestions or tips i'd love to hear them! i'll be checking this post often.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics