• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mad_Stars

Mad_Stars

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hi I just bought a Meade LX80 10inch a week ago and It was working fine until a few nights ago. I set it up at around 9pm in the alt/az mode, did the easy alignment on 2 stars then started tracking the moon, all was well. Then as it got darker and more stars came out I decided to track jupiter, I went to do another alignment as more stars were visible, I turned the mount off, re-positioned it to the home location on magnetic north and turned it back on, then set it to do a easy alignment like usual, except this time it did not stop "slewing" for the first alignment star, it turned to the right for a moment and then kept spinning on the up/down axis until I turned it off because I thought something was wrong (it did over 3 360 degree rotations before I figured it was probably borked). I turned it off/on again and did the normal setup as per the instruction manual, I checked the locks they were fine then I decided to just manually track the moon, the up/down axis was super fast while the left/right axis was normal, its as if the up/down was stuck at maximum speed and I could only change the left/right speed with the 1-9 keys. I tried going into the settings and doing a reset and re-configuring the options but the problem persisted. I have also tried training the drive and calibrating the motors as the instruction manual trouble shooting said, none of which helped one bit.

Anyone know whats wrong? Meade support is not available on the weekends. If they cant fix it on the phone or if I cant fix it via forums im going to return it and get a celestron as ive heard that meade has some major issues with the lx80...

#2 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

I went to do another alignment as more stars were visible, I turned the mount off, re-positioned it to the home location on magnetic north and turned it back on, then set it to do a easy alignment like usual,

Did you reset the time when turned back on? It always resets to 8 PM so every time you recycle it you need to reenter the time. Just gleaned that from the above quote. Hope it helps. :grin:

Oh BTW, welcome to Cloudy Nights!

#3 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Would you feel comfortable upgrading the firmware as a trial whether it can help?

#4 Mad_Stars

Mad_Stars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

Would you feel comfortable upgrading the firmware as a trial whether it can help?

I didn't buy the separate cable to connect it to a computer.

#5 DuiA1

DuiA1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

What firmware is the hand controller? A3S4? should be the latest firmware if you just received the mount.

#6 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Mad_Star,

Welcome to CN and good luck with the problem. That's a new one on me as far as LX80 problems go. Have you checked your power input?

#7 Mad_Stars

Mad_Stars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

What firmware is the hand controller? A3S4? should be the latest firmware if you just received the mount.

I just checked and its A3S2

Welcome to CN and good luck with the problem. That's a new one on me as far as LX80 problems go. Have you checked your power input?

Yea I replaced the batteries with fresh ones after the problem started and it didn't fix the issue.

#8 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

I just checked and its A3S2

I don't want to ask this... How did you buy it? was it off of a dealers floor or shipped direct from Meade... I can't believe that Meade would still ship out a mount with a known bad/old HC version.

#9 DuiA1

DuiA1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

I just got off the phone with Meade and the new mounts they are shipping are with A3S4. Unless you got one that was old stock from the dealer, new mounts shipped recently should have the latest firmware.

#10 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Viking 1

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Gday Mad Stars

As the slewing in Az works and respects the speed setting, i doubt very much your problem is Firmware related, as all the bugs there were for "tracking" and "guiding".
If the Alt motor slews both up and down at max speed, "when commanded", ie via a button press, and you have don a calibrate motors, then the most likely remaining culprit is a fault in the the encoder on the motor, or its wiring.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#11 Mad_Stars

Mad_Stars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

Gday Mad Stars

As the slewing in Az works and respects the speed setting, i doubt very much your problem is Firmware related, as all the bugs there were for "tracking" and "guiding".
If the Alt motor slews both up and down at max speed, "when commanded", ie via a button press, and you have don a calibrate motors, then the most likely remaining culprit is a fault in the the encoder on the motor, or its wiring.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Yes it happens even when I use the buttons. If I press 1 on the keypad the left/right is normal at its super slow speed but the up/down is super fast.

I bought it from a dealer so thats probably why it had the older firmware. It was working fine at first but then it just started acting up and has not been fixed even when I reset the settings and change the batteries with new ones.

I appreciate everyone's help considering this is my first thread thanks!

Im going to return it and get something like a C8 but im going to read up more so I don't end up with another LX80 experience...

#12 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

If the mount would not start to misbehave, would you be happy with the purchase / How was the handling of 10in OTA ?

#13 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Im going to return it and get something like a C8 but im going to read up more so I don't end up with another LX80 experience...

You are giving yourself some great advice right there... The 30 day return policy that most dealers honor is a huge friend right now.. There are just too many other options out there right now to struggle with a mount that Meade is still debugging.

#14 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

It's probably too late, but the symptom reveals a failure to read the encoders properly. The fix for that is the "calibrate motors" utility. If that doesn't do it, and if the power source is good, then it will require repairs.

#15 LTE

LTE

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Scotland

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

I have an intermittent fault which might indicate something similar, though less serious. Occasionally, and so far only with speed 5 and the right hand azimuth button, it gives a short run at full slew speed when I am centring a star. I use my LX80 quite happily otherwise, but only with a Celestron 6in Newtonian, it will not handle my 8in Skywatcher. Another grumble is the handset cable is far too short to reach a Newtonian observing position in comfort, a fault with other mounts also.

Tom.

#16 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

.... Another grumble is the handset cable is far too short to reach a Newtonian observing position in comfort, a fault with other mounts also.Tom.

Get this. Works great.:waytogo:

#17 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Viking 1

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

I have owned a Meade ETX60, many years ago and a Meade ETX125, both with Meade Autostar 494 and 497 controllers.
They've worked very nicely.
My new LX80 failed during the second month of ownership when, as I turned it on, it began alignment as the scope in Azimuth went in a clockwise direction and stopped at perhaps the position of the 1st alignment star.
At the same time, Altazmuth axis began it's rotation climbing towards the target...
Then continued on it's way, in-merry-go-round-fashion, loop de loop upside down, rightside up and on and on.
Turned of and tried alignment again, same troubles..
The hand controller, in manual, left-right-up-down keys would only rotate the Azimuth towards counterclockwise, and not clockwise. And in Alt azimuth, only to rotate upwards, over the top and not reverse.
Meade was kind and long story short, the new mount received last Tuesday is operating correctly.
I think anyone having this mount should use it daily indoors, rain or shine to be sure that something similar to these troubles can be ferreted out prior to the one year warranty..!
Best of luck to you, and I hope that Meade will treat you well.
Jim

#18 Orboos

Orboos

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

I'm not sure, I got it right? Did you switch from alt/az to equatorial mode or vice versa? If so than you have to make the change in HC setup.
If you reset your HC than all the setting went back to defaults.
You have setup your mount again.
It looks to me like after you switched from alt/az to eq. without reflecting that change in HC. Now you're in eq. mode but the mount thinks it is in alt/az mode and that will make the mount acting the way you described.
Hope it will help to solve your problem.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics