CPC 800 or Nexstar 8SE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yashdeshpande

yashdeshpande

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hello im Yash here from India. I was planning to buy my first serious scope and after a month of research its come down to the CPC 800 and nexstar 8SE.
I know you will think there are a lot of posts with this question but theres a catch here.
In India the cpc costs around 3100 dollars while the nexstar 8 se costs around 2000 dollars. This is because of the shipping charges and import tax by the government. Celstron doesnt have support in India so it will be pretty much on me. No warranty or guarantee. The telescope will ship in from usa.So there are chances of damage etc.
So i wanted to know which one do i go for? Not in terms of features (the gps is the only thing extra on the cpc)but in terms of reliability and strength. personally i wanted the nexstar 8 se but I have read some reviews about people recieving nexstars with faulty gears and controllers etc and that will be the end in my case as i will be stuck with it. Will the cpc 800 be better through the shipping and in general build quality? I need a scope that at the least reaches me perfectly working.
Sorry for the long post, im an amatuer to this.
Thanks in advance

#2 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

Hello Yash,

Of the two telescopes you mention, I would choose the CPC800 as I believe it has a much better stronger mount. I am familiar with both and and I strongly dislike the 8SE mount. Where you will have a problem with guarantee coverage where you are, I would think you chances of better reliability and less trouble is with the CPC 800...

However, I have to ask, would you do better purchasing from UK or Germany as far as guarantee is concerned? Sky Watcher makes some excellent telescopes and mounts. And Bresser in Germany is affiliated with Explore Scientific which is another excellent top quality telescope. I speak from experience I have both an Explore Scientific ES127 ED/APO and a Celestron 11" EdgeHD telescope, and while both are high quality construction, I think the engineering and quality of the Explore Scientific would be my choice for reliability in a remote location where there is no service available...

I also think I would purchase a separate telescope and mount, not a packaged Telescope and mount together... I think the GEM type mounts are stronger and more reliable and would be my choice for an area where there is a lack of service.

Those are my thoughts on the subject, good luck with your endeavor...

#3 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

Visually the two scopes will be identical. But the CPC will ne much more stable with far less vibration/wind issues. (Of course it will be somewhat heavier to transport.

Should the go to systems on either go bad and you cannot get service, both will be easily removed from the single or double forks to use on the GEM mentioned above.

#4 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

• Loc: In a galaxy far far away...

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hi Yash,

I had both. The main risk you run with shipping these is the corrector plate or primary mirror breaking. Keep that in mind.

The CPC is much more stable indeed, but you are talking about a 10kg tripod and a 20kg mount and OTA. So it's heavy. The Nexstar breaks into tripod, mount and OTA, with no more than 8kg for heaviest item.

However, the tripod is not so rock solid. Ultimately it is a decision of portability Vs stability.

Also, for the inevitable question re astrophotography, the OTA of the Nextstar can be mounted with no alterations on a CG5 or AVX or any mount of that class.

Pros and cons are above. The key risk I believe is the corrector plat and this will depend on the freight forwarders handling.

FYI I am from Cyprus and my Nexstar came all the way from the US in perfect condition. In my case it was $900 less to import from the US than buy from the local rep, so I figured if the corrector plate broke, I could replace it and still save money...

#5 nikhil.s

nikhil.s

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: India

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hello Yash,

Even i am planning to buy 8SE in India, Did you finally import it on your own or buy it directly with an Indian retailer ? Please reply

Thanks
Nikhil

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics