Photo

NEAF 2013 IS TURNING OUT TO BE THE BEST EVER!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RAC-INC

RAC-INC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

NEAF 2013, from preliminary inquiries, is turning out to be the best in history by a wide margin!
Reports by the vast majority of vendors indicate that sales for Saturday ALONE equaled Saturday AND Sunday sales from last year. Sunday had the best attendence by a wide margin by any previous Sunday in the show's history!

Many attendees reported that the vendor isles in the field house were so crowded that they were at times unpassable!!! Now that's a show!!!

The show had many notable speakers, including one surprise addition being John Davis, the creator of Jimmy Neutron!!!

If you missed it, you missed a great one!!! Wait till next year!!!

We will supply updated attendence figures soon....

Thanks to all who attended!!!

RAC-INC BOD

#2 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Had a great time!!

Thanks for doing this!

#3 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: You can't see me...

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

the theater in the back was awesome, really helped brake up the space of inline booths after inline booths in the back.

Great idea.

#4 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: East of Poskin

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

WOW!!!!

#5 rodney

rodney

Vendor - Explora Dome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Asbury, NJ

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Really looking forward to the attendance numbers

#6 laico

laico

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Were we both at the same show? I arrived at 2:00PM, I enjoyed the show on Saturday however, at 2:00PM it was a Ghost Town, people crowded in the aisles? From 2:00PM to 6:00PM you could almost here a pin drop. Like all great shows, many are a thing of the past and many in decline. I have attended the past 5, this year it seemed to be less crowded than previous years. To recap, YES I enjoyed the show and purchased a new Discmount however I was indeed surprised at how many were missing in action, I hope it was a fluke, and if Sunday was much better then thats good news but was disappointed by Saturdays attendance and the lack of enthusiasm by a few vendors, one most notable point was it was not isolated to one vendor but I felt all scaled back what they showcased, in years past they would have more floor space and more gear to enjoy, this year it was minimal at best. Having said that, I hope NEAF continues its traditionl but in retrospect 2013 was a dismal showing compared to say 2011 when it was wall to wall people. Thanks, Joe

#7 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

With the Internet growing and growing, I wonder if this is contributing to lower attendees at trade shows. Gosh, we now have so many forums, great vendor web sites, You Tube product demos, online timely magazines, online reviews, etc. etc. Oh it's always nice to touch and feel, but anymore I know what I want via just pointing and clicking. No need to spend money with travel and hotels.

#8 RAC-INC

RAC-INC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Everyone's opinion is some what subjective, but truthfully, the pictures I've reviewed from thru out both days (many of which we will post later), not to mention being stationed in a central location, hardly suggested a "ghost town" at all.
I was posted at the entrance to the Galaxy Theater which faces the entrance to the field house from the far end and had a full view of the center isle from 10 to close for both days, and I can tell you it was far from a ghost town.....I also walked the isles both days, usually between 1PM and 3PM and can say with all truthfulness, there were times I couldn't walk down or thru an isle with out having to say excuse me and bumping into people. NEVER happend before, EVER!!!
Like was reported, I've been going or participating in NEAF for 15 years now. This is the most crowded I've ever seen it. We know already, from vendor reports, that the VAST majority eclipsed last years total sales on Saturday ALONE! Anything on Sunday was gravy, and that was crowded too!!!
However, we will have total numbers soon, and they will be posted. Then the answer will truly be known objectively.

Very Sincerely and Respectfully,
Bernie Sokolowski RAC BOD and NEAF Committee Member

#9 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

This is just my subjective observations, but:

Saturday, especially, in the afternoon, attendance seemed down from recent years. However, on the other hand, Sunday seemed like there were more folks than prior years. To my memory Sunday has been about half of Saturday, but not this year. Sunday equaled Saturday, or there were even more people. I think one factor was the better weather (solar viewing) on Sunday. There were presentations going in two locations, and the auditorium was about half filled for the three talks I saw there.

Also, the 'deals and discounts' seemed better than I can ever remember (as in 20% off on everything at one store, quickly matched by the others). Gary Hand, OPT, Woodland, others, seemed to me to have more 'stuff', including a great selection of high-end eyepieces. Gary had a brand new Edge C-14 tube assembly with a small dent in the tube (quarter size), offered at a substantial discount. I just wish I had the $$ to jump on that one! From walking around, it seems that Dobs (both basic and premium) are on the up-swing, APO's and Achro's were fewer, and new GoTo GEMs of various designs made a splash. I also was impressed with the 'Astrophotography' display that took up one whole wall. There were also a few more organizations and public observatories, while the book and magazine publishers were there in full force.

#10 rodney

rodney

Vendor - Explora Dome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Asbury, NJ

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Well to be honest. From a vendor stand point it would have been nice to get a call or email about the change of booth layouts prior to the show. Rather than be disappointed when walking through the door to only find out your booth is not there. Overall it worked out OK. This was the first year the RAC had control of the show and things will improve over the years.

#11 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

With the Internet growing and growing, I wonder if this is contributing to lower attendees at trade shows.

Maybe. Or maybe the Internet is contributing to higher attendance instead. There are a few new shows started in recent years, indicating that folks who have looked into it believe there's still a good audience to be had. NEAF is still going strong, too.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics