Black Forest Star Party 2013

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#76 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Is there a list of vendors? I may be picking up an item or 2 and want to make sure the vendors coming carry those specific items and are planning on bringing some, otherwise i'll order them now.

#77 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

Some vendors are mentioned on the Twitter page. You'll have to scroll down thru the door prize/vendor listings. The page background is different to be sure.

#78 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

:grin:
This is a Distant Early Warning for those who at night don't use Red Lenses and awaken those in Red Sector A
who might not use Kid Gloves and you end up in the Limelight in the cage with By-tor & The Snow Dog that will
feel like The Twilight Zone in Limbo hoping you learn the Lessons the star party is no stroll at a Lakeside Park.
:p

Maybe we'll see some Earthshine as The Stars Look Down in our own Peaceable Kingdom as we Stick it Out amongst the Subdivisions on the field looking through our scopes as Second Nature hoping we have Ceiling Unlimited, without Jacob's Ladder as we Fly By Night, with the Clockwork Angels at work. :grin:

After the Caravan arrives, when the evening comes, right about the time of the Twilight Zone, we Countdown to the anticipated darkness. Hopefully, we picked a spot where The Trees will not block much of our view. As we gaze upon the remaining Available Light from the The Big Wheel in the sky, we draw in a deep breath and for a moment, Time Stands Still. Soon, our telescopes will be bagging DSOs Hand Over Fist. Those with larger telescopes are Driven to see many faint objects, but the rest of us with smaller scopes have a Ghost of a Chance to see them, but it is hard to Resist trying! Of course, it would be Heresy if we sleep through the night and it is clear!! If you do decide to lay down, make sure you are Face Up to see the stars! Astroimagers will busily collect photons through The Camera Eye attached to their telescopes. I know they use Kid Gloves with those refractors!! :)

In The End, for those of us that have never been under darker skies, the Afterimage will be in our minds indefinitely. When we return home and unpack, hopefully, we won't be saying, uh, Where's My Thing?...you know, questioning where you left your Ethos without Losing It. There will be many Tears if we cannot find it. :grin:

#79 CometChaser2013

CometChaser2013

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

All vendors that are planning to attend are listed on the Twitter feed. Barring any last 'minute' additions, it's looking like 15 vendors this year. Thank you for asking and expressing interest in supporting the vendors!

Bill
BFSP 2013 Speaker/Vendor coordinator

#80 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thanks Bill! It's a pretty good list of vendors, may be picking up an item or two. I'm especially excited to check out the meteorite collections, they're always impressive.

#81 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

• Loc: Untermitternacht

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

Great!! That is all I needed is a bunch of vendors to tempt me!! :D

This is great to see so many vendors attending... getting excited. And the weather is looking better and better!

Jason

#82 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntingdon PA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

Thanks Bill! It's a pretty good list of vendors, may be picking up an item or two. I'm especially excited to check out the meteorite collections, they're always impressive.

I second that notion (meteorites) ^. NOW if only I had some money to spend.

#83 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

So, what's on the observing agenda? Last time I went (2010), I managed to bag Stephan's Quintet in my 12.5" Dob.

#84 Alvan Clark

Alvan Clark

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Long range forecast looks decent Wednesday to Sunday.

#85 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

So glad I have today off for Labor Day.. I will be out in the garage getting stuff ready.

Jason

#86 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Just wondering if there are any problems with Mosquitos or flies this time of year at CS?

#87 Alvan Clark

Alvan Clark

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

At this time of year I don't ever remember a problem with either. Someone who's been there recently would know if anything is up though.

It's going to be chilly at night.

#88 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Just wondering if there are any problems with Mosquitos or flies this time of year at CS?

There was another hatch of gnats and small flies last week in my area about sixty miles from the park. The cool weather that is on the way tonight should put a damper on the flying insects.

#89 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntingdon PA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Is anyone posting here on the field yet? I will be on route tomorrow hopefully.

#90 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

I'll be there thursday to sunday with the 16" dob with the bright orange shroud at the back of the field.

#91 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Grateful dead tie dye with aliens on it ;) just an average apertura 10" GSO dob thurs to sun. (Although I did make a big dew shield of about 2' so we'll see how that goes. ) Getting excited..I will be able to mostly finish up my last 5-6 Messiers for the first time!!

#92 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Grateful dead tie dye with aliens on it ;) just an average apertura 10" GSO dob thurs to sun. (Although I did make a big dew shield of about 2' so we'll see how that goes. ) Getting excited..I will be able to mostly finish up my last 5-6 Messiers for the first time!!

Most excellent! I too am getting pretty stoked about the party. I have all the gear packed up and ready to go. Just need to pack the other stuff (like toiletries, towels, snacks, and other such things). 4:00am will be here soon.

Oh yeah.. I will have my tie dye Rush shirt to bring along too! No aliens, but there is a guy standing in front of a star (2112) :grin:

Jason

#93 Howie Glatter

Howie Glatter

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

> . . I will have my tie dye Rush shirt . .

I just hope it's not that other Rush.

#94 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Just a heads up since it's still technically summer...the low Thursday night is in the upper 30's. Friday night they're calling for low 40's or maybe 50 depending on the website. It's going to be one of the colder BFSPs!

#95 CometChaser2013

CometChaser2013

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

We contacted the food provider (Fox’s Pizza) and have updated the info on the BFSP website. In summary, they plan to be open Thursday 11am-11pm, Friday and Saturday 7am til at least 2am, maybe later. A list of menu items/specials can be found on the BFSP main page, www.bfsp.org

Bill

#96 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

Leaving later this morning to start heading up there today. Should take us about 4.5 hours or so from North Jersey. Will be bringing our flagship 20" F/3.5 (with recently First-Light'ed Lightholder primary mirror!) Truss-Dob, a customer's 10" F/5 TT/Custom, our 11" F/4.5 STS and our 8" F/6 STS. Looking forward to seeing everyone up there. Please be sure to stop by our set up on the field and say "Hi!", especially at night so you can test drive any of the scopes listed above - that's why we bring so many scopes, so we can share. :grin:

Safe trips everyone,

#97 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:15 AM

We contacted the food provider (Fox’s Pizza) and have updated the info on the BFSP website. In summary, they plan to be open Thursday 11am-11pm, Friday and Saturday 7am til at least 2am, maybe later. A list of menu items/specials can be found on the BFSP main page, www.bfsp.org

Bill

With clear skies but cold weather predicted those hours are disappointing. :( Hopefully the hours are well advertised when people arrive at the registration booth since everyone was used to 24 hour service.

#98 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

If you need some excellent free downloadable observing guides for tough targets:

Guides for a whole slew of things, including some that need an 18" or larger to even start with.
http://faintfuzzies....ingGuides2.html

The Hickson Observing Atlas, an awesome guide:
http://www.reinervog...pdf/Hickson.pdf

Vogel references a list of the 32 most interesting Hicksons:
http://www.astronomy...ce/hicklist.htm

I'll be going after a bunch more of the hickson compact galaxy groups!

#99 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Getting ready to head out in a few. Hope to meet a few of you and see what real equipment looks like.

#100 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

Can anyone comment on any well flaring going on at this time? Anyone have recent SQM readings to share?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics