• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

If anyone reading this has the 20" F/3.5 I would sure appreciate a few measurements. I am looking at new vehicles right now and want to make sure the scope with fit through the tailgate and ultimately fit in the vehicle.

When the two bottom boxes are assembled with the wheelbarrow handles attached what is the maximum size in all 3 directions. Meaning from the tip of the wheels to the end of the handles. From the ground to the highest part that has to clear the tailgate. And the width between the widest two parts which I am only guessing are the outside edges of the wheels.

And one last question, will the upper cage containing the diagonal and focuser fit between the wheelbarrow handles or would it needed to lay on top of them?

Thanks.

#2 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Wouldn't it be simplest to ask Rob Teeter directly?

rob@teeterstelescopes.com

#3 Busguy

Busguy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

I have a 20" f/3.6, but am out of town to provide you with the answers. If you ask Rob, he will be happy to give you the data you seek.

I am thinking about a F-150, but more because I have to haul other stuff and that would fit all needs.
Maybe in a year or two...

#4 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Don't write him, don't do it, you'll wind up buying one :lol:

#5 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

And this would be bad how??? Rob's scopes are awesome.

#6 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

And this would be bad how??? Rob's scopes are awesome.

http://www.hark.com/...ou-know-sarcasm

#7 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Lane,
We just got back from NEAF late Sunday night and had spent all of last week with our noses to the grindstone getting our new 10" Journey prep'ed and ready for unveiling. I'm back in the workshop tomorrow morning, and will get these dimensions to you then.

Thanks for your patience!

#8 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

Thanks Rob and everyone else.

#9 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

Wouldn't it be simplest to ask Rob Teeter directly?

rob@teeterstelescopes.com

I did that before posting out here, but he was hiding out from me :shrug:

#10 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

He was hiding in plain sight at NEAF, most likely...

Dave

#11 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Rob gave me the measurements today, in case anyone else is interested here they are:

- Height of Bottom Assembly: 32"
- Width of Bottom Assembly: 27.5" (31" with wheelbarrow handles & hardware, 34" with ServoCat hardware)
- Length of Wheelbarrow Handles: 62" (including pneumatic tires)
- Space Between Wheelbarrow Handles Behind Mirrorbox: 27.5"
You can store the UTA behind the mirrorbox/rockerbox between the handles, which is exactly how we transport our personal 20".

#12 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

WOW - After getting the measurements and visiting a bunch of car lots, I was surprised to see how few vehicles can carry the 20". It is that 32" height that is the real killer. A big or small truck with a camper shell, a Van, or one of the really big SUV,s, those are the only options. Looks like a Toyota Tacoma for me.

#13 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

Or you could get a little creative. I have a Starmaster 20" and recently someone who had one before and is thinking of reaquiring one asked me to do some true measuring. He is wanting to see if one can be crammed into the back of a Prius. We determined it should with a little creative packing. This is creative packing 1, with the mirror box section upside down over the mirror transport box.

Bill

Attached Files

#14 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

And this is creative packing 2. with the UTA inside the rocker box. This requires alot less clearance.

I'm actually looking for a vehicle to replace my little old truck and will be dragging my scope around with me while I look. For fun I think I will drop by the Toyota place and see if it really will fit in a Prius. I already know it will go in the back of a VW Golf station wagon.

You really have to think "Inside the Box".

Bill

Attached Files

#15 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

I see from the ruler that your scope would also be 32" in the normal position. So flipping it over is a significant savings. I am not sure I can flip a teeter over like that, especially with the server cat on board. Doesn't matter I suppose since I like the idea of getting the Truck anyway for a lot of other reasons besides just this scope.

#16 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

I cut out some cardboard boxes with the same dimensions as the telescope I was considering. My brain has a hard time transferring a visual measurement into a space such as the interior of a vehicle. :grin: Also, if the 20 is a little too large, you might consider an 18. You will pull in almost as much light, but the dimensions are a little smaller, and might fit.

#17 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

That's why I got a Super FXQ 20". It's the same box as the 18".

Bill

#18 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

My Ford Escape (2005 model) has 33 1/2" vertical clearance (including at the gate). The Escape is a nice, smaller SUV. I'm not sure the extended cargo space (with back seats folded down out of the way) is quite enough to leave the wheelbarrow handles attached (it's exactly enough to port my 12" solid-tube dob lengthwise, but that's a bit under 62"), but couldn't you detach the wheelbarrow handles for transport and reattach them through the open rear side doors before rolling the scope out? That would also reduce your vehicle size requirement.

#19 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

I want to be able to fit it in the car without damaging the headliner, 33.5" doesn't leave much room for maneuvering the scope into the vehicle. I was thinking 34" minimum with 36" being the optimum. The Tacoma will have 37" of clearance in the camper shell. The Tacoma will also be a real 4x4 with good ground clearance and that was something else I really wanted in a second vehicle. A lot of places out west I just can go anymore since I sold my Jeep.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics