Photo

Observing Opportunity in Australia (Mar/Apr 2014)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Good Morning all,

The Three Rivers Foundation of Australia is the Australian based division of the Three Rivers Foundation of Texas. Every year the two groups join forces to host an Astronomy and Cultural trip to Australia.

This trip has now run annually for the past 11 years. We have countless repeat attendees. People from anywhere in the world are welcome to attend and enjoy the pristine skies of Coonabarabran NSW Australia and enjoy the cultural and observing experience we put together. There is lots to do by day for the non astronomy wives who tag along, and the night sky gets no better.

This trip is scheduled from the 29th March, 2014 to 5th April, 2014.

We provide all the equipment and get it to Coonabarabran for your use. We have a 30"/F4.6 SDM, 2 x 25"/F5 Obsessions, 5 x 18"/F4.5 Obsessions and a 14"/F4.5 SDM, for the wives who like to keep their feet on the ground. We also have a pair of 25 x 150 Fujinon Binoculars mounted on an electric starchair. We provide selected Televue eyepieces, but feel free to bring your own along.

We have a dedicated website with all the information you should need. However, if you need more inforamtion or have any questions feel free to contact us.

We limit the trip to 30 observers plus spouses. This ensures that everyone gets appropriate access and maximises their time using the equipment. We always have at least one and usually several, 3RF volunteers on the observing field to provide assistance with the equipment, or to locate any of the Southern treasures you might want to observe, if required.

If you are interested in attending please feel free to contact me via PM, or contact 3RF Australia through the links on the Ozsky Website

If you would like to contact some previous attendees let me know and I can put you in contact with several previous US visitors, many of whom are Cloudy Nights regulars. At least 70% of people who have done the Ozsky Trip for the first time, have come back for seconds in subsequent years.

Cheers

#2 barnowl

barnowl

Vostok 1

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

I recently returned from my second trip to Australia to attend the Oz-Sky Star Safari and I must say that these were to of the most worthwhile trips I have ever made. If you have considered checking out the wonders of the southern skies, this is a great opportunity to do so, using well maintained scopes provided by the 3-Rivers foundation. The first time I was there we observed every night under almost perfect skies, this time the first night was cloudy, the other six great, displaying a wonderful combination of good seeing and good transparency. You can bring your own observing list or depend on Oz-Sky volunteers to guide you toward the the eye-candy, it's your choice. You stay in a motel at the observing site, so you can step out the back door and start observing under the darkest skies I have ever seen. Local trips and tours are available during the day. And best of all are the volunteers who demonstrate the friendliness of the Australian people at its best. I strongly recommend this star party. The first view of Omega Centauri--not to mention Tuc 47 or the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds or the wonderful array of galaxies and nebulae and the milky way, which stretches brightly from horizon to horizon-- makes the whole trip worthwhile. I hope that I can return for a third time.
By the way, I have no financial relationship with 3-Rivers other than having attended their star parties.
Best Regards to all,
Lee

#3 Winalski

Winalski

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Every Northern Hemisphere astronomer should consider a trip to the Southern Hemisphere to view he Southern Milky Way and the Magellanic Clouds. The problem is always logistics--where to go to get a good viewing opportunity under dark skies, and especially how to get access to telescope equipment on your trip.

The Three River Foundation's OzSky events solves these logistical issues. They have a cadre of well-maintained, large aperture telescopes, a dark-sky observing site with a week's opportunity to view (so a day or two of rain or clouds won't ruin the trip), and a helpful cadre of experienced amateur astronomers to help you find your way around the unfamiliar skies. I very highly recommend this trip.

I have no association with 3RF or the OzSky organizers other than having taken advantage of and thoroughly enjoyed three OzSky trips.

-Paul W.

#4 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

I am going to OzSky 2014, looking forward to it. :)

#5 djpontone

djpontone

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

This is truly the best of the best MIND BLOWING!!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics