• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnH

JohnH

Vanguard

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

I have made several attempts to make my backyard more useable in the nearly two years since we moved into a place out own.

I used the sand circle as a platform and left the mount outside, covered in a plastic bag. Water getting in rusted the bearings on my worm screw, making it necessary to take the mount apart to replace them.

The second version had a piece of outdoor carpet with my rolling shelter on top. This totally failed as the wheels would dig into the sand underneath the carpet. I had considered laying concrete but the time and expense, let alone the irreversibility, made this a no go.

This third attempt is so far the best. I bought 30 (so far) 2 foot by 2 foot 90 lb concrete pavers and laid them last weekend in a 3 by 10 pattern. The metal wheels on the shelter bump along slightly, but smoothly enough and needing little real muscle.

PS Now I have to make some kind of folding doors plus an interlock system so that you can't start rolling the shelter around without opening the doors first.

So far cost is around $50 for the cast iron wheels, $70 for the studs and plywood and a whopping $175 for the cedar T & G siding.
Now for doors and a roof.

Attached Files

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

Looks good, now you just have to cut down all the trees :).

Tasteful design.

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

That looks real nice.

I cannot tell where the scope is to be. Or, in other words, is the cover as seen in the photo in the storage position or the rollled off position? If it is in the storage position, you will neeed to extend the pavers out a little to the left to accommodate the shed as it rolls away.

But looks great. It is the same concept I use, and I think you will be happy.

Alex

#4 JohnH

JohnH

Vanguard

• ****-

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

You are looking to the east and behind the tree there is a granite monolith known as "The Chief". Couldn't remove that without nuclear explosives.

The scope and mount can be seen in my photos section. It will be on a pier near the low wall at the right and the storage shed will roll to the left. I plan to add pavers to all the sand area to give me freedom to place it out of the way.

The area has a fairly clear view to the south and west except for a pesky street light that shines in over my garage.

PS I tried to build a do it yourself shade for it with a magnet to attach it but no go.

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

That really looks nice! Those pavers really save a lot of work, and look good as well!

#6 JohnH

JohnH

Vanguard

• ****-

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

I did some work on the shelter, adding some more cedar boards to the rear side.

I also picked up another 30 (about 2000lbs) of the 2 foot square pavers. About all I can place and still have energy to do other pending work today.

This is looking northish. North is to the left of the shelter. To the right is the redone firepit with bricks underneath it. I drilled in the brick with a diamond hole saw to accept the legs. It was made from the cast iron drum from a 5 ton truck.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics