Photo

Need a tripod for my CGEM mount, they available?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Maxedout

Maxedout

Explorer 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Without going into too much detail I have the computerized end that mates to the telescope. I need the bottom half only ergo just the legs and bottom mount part. Are these available and if not can I buy something that will work just as well? See attachment. Everything below what I have outlined in red.
Thank you in advance fellow Astronomers.

Attached Files

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Berlebach - Tripod PLANET for Celestron CGEM

#3 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

The tripod comes up used all the time on the classified here and on the "other" site. Much cheaper that the berlebach tripod.. Most sell the tripod because they have perm mounted the mount head in an observatory or on a pier.

The azimuth/altitude adjustment head/cradle will probably be very hard to come by unless you go to the Torrance Facility and beg for one they are going to smelt... That's all I can think of.. Or wait for a broken one to show up for parts.

#4 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

The tripod comes up used all the time on the classified here and on the "other" site.

I'll apologize now for this off-topic comment - so here goes... Why don't people just type "Astromart" instead of nearly-constantly refer to it as the "other" site? There is no reason at all to not mention Astromart on Cloudynights!

#5 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

It just really depends on how I feel and how the CN site feels at the time. There was a recent thread closed about astromart. So "other" it is for me for a bit... :p

#6 Maxedout

Maxedout

Explorer 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Nothing for sale on the forums, any ideas of what other mounts can be purchased new or used that will fit?

#7 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

I saw CGEM stock tripod at Astromart just sold yesterday for $135 plus shipping.

Put out a "Wanted" ad at Shop&Swap or Astromart.

#8 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:15 AM

Ed sells that tripod as part of the T-Rex package at DeepSpaceProducts.com. I have the CGEM and the T-Rex and I can assure you that they are the same tripod.

I would bet you could buy just the Tripod from him. In fact I seem to recall that he indicated that was possible in a recent thread on CN. He does not list the tripod as a separate product for sale on his site, so you need to call him.

The only minor issue is that the alignment bolt that sticks up on the top edge of the tripod is different on the T-Rex and the CGEM, but since that part unscrews from the tripod, you can buy a tall bolt at any hardware store to replace it and that will work fine.

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

I have one sitting in my basement. Pm me.

#10 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Ed sells that tripod as part of the T-Rex package at DeepSpaceProducts.com. I have the CGEM and the T-Rex and I can assure you that they are the same tripod.

I would bet you could buy just the Tripod from him. In fact I seem to recall that he indicated that was possible in a recent thread on CN. He does not list the tripod as a separate product for sale on his site, so you need to call him.

The only minor issue is that the alignment bolt that sticks up on the top edge of the tripod is different on the T-Rex and the CGEM, but since that part unscrews from the tripod, you can buy a tall bolt at any hardware store to replace it and that will work fine.

These tripods actually come with the azimuth pin. It's just not needed for the T-REX.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics