• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

I've been experimenting with SF and the Canon 9000f and have discovered some neat (no I don't say cool) things in the latest upgrade. Basically I spend most of my time with the SF software getting it just right before the scan. I used CS4 to basically remove dust and marks from the film scan, and add a touch of vibrance and noise reduction. The full sized version is huge - about 5,700x7200 so the reduced version posted here and on my Pbase site don't look quite as good. I should desaturate a bit for reductions. But here they are for starters. I'm re-scanning all my good frames.

This one is Cygnus with the Pentax 67 and SMC 165 lens. This is a long exposure at 105 minutes f/5.6 auto guided. The lens is f/2.8. Taken in 2010 or 2011? No push process this frame - and the lack of scanner digital noise was obvious once I saw the result. A very clean smooth frame. This now has me thinking about going back to NO - or push 1 and expose longer compared to my typical 55 minutes push 2 process.

Larger version here http://www.pbase.com...image/130442388

Frame includes NCG7000 - the Gamma Cygni complex - and Veil. If the image appears small, scroll to the bottom under the description and select Original size. It will take awhile to load as it is large and Pbase can be slow at times depending upon usage.

I have a 6x9 frame I will post next. I have the film back in 6x9 for my 4x5 camera. But that's a completely different story. I will post new notifications on updated frames.

The 6x9 frame is here http://upload.pbase....825018/original

Focusing a 4x5 camera with full movements on the front and back standards is something else. Especially with only a 150mm lens which is equivalent to about a 75 to 100 in MF and 35 - 50mm in 35mm. Getting the focus just right in the centre is one thing. But then you have to check all 4 corners. Then install the 6x9 film back and remember to pull out the dark slide. Also remember to put it back in before advancing the film. Yes - I've done that.

This is not a great frame, but even in the greatly reduced size, it shows just how large a 6x9 frame is by comparison. If I get enthused this summer I will take another attempt at it using the moon for focus and lock down the settings for later use. Yah sure.

Igor

#2 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

Re-scanned M42 shot with the Tec140 and Pentax 67.
Large higher rez version here. http://www.pbase.com...image/139418239

Attached Files

#3 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

California Nebula NGC 1499 with the Pentax 400EDif lens at f/5.6 55 minutes.

Hi rez version here. http://upload.pbase....923907/original

Lots of lookers but no comments??? Are they that bad?

Attached Files

#4 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:52 AM

Great images Igor,well done... :bow:

#5 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thank you - and BTW - I'm just happy to wake up in the morning.

igor

#6 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Even if you don't dream,it's good to have a purpose... The photographs you take are purpose enough... :waytogo:

#7 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Igor, first of all, thanks for sharing a photo from your LF camera, I was looking forward for it for a long time. There is a lot of potential, that's obvious. Do you have to focus each frame individually, or it is enough to focus the camera in the evening and shoot several frames without refocusing during the night? The only LF camera I've seen was in a picture.

That SF V8 software, does it something with the scanner's hardware, or it only applies some automatical digital adjustments? Maybe a comparison of scans taken with the older and the newer version would help us to appreciate the difference.

Nice pics. I like the round stars in your California image. Even though I devote a lot of attention to polar alignment, there is something what I do incorrectly. Maybe some flexions in attachements. It's a big advantage to have a fixed mount. I'd rather to see the images brighter. Some data are lost in this way.

Thw 165mm lens looks pretty sharp. Is it comparable in sharpness with your 200mm or 55mm lenses?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics