16 replies to this topic

#1 ManuelJ

ManuelJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for changing my EQ6-AZ GT tripod for the new gear that is coming. I know that it won't handle the 21-22 Kg of instrument I'm willing to put. So I would like to buy a tripod with the only comprimise in transportability.

My choices:

Berlebach Planet, double clamps: 550 Euros, 11 Kg and 140 capacity

Berlebach Sky: 1500 Euros, 9Kg and 140 capacity (anyone tried this?, don't want to pay 1000 Euro for 2 Kg)

8 Inch ATS portable pier: 2250 Euros, 12 Kg and 160 capacity

Do you have any recommendation, or something else from the list?

Regards,
Manuel.

#2 Pat at home

Pat at home

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I've put 250 lbs of weight on this thing when testing it before putting the mount on it.

You don't always have to spend the big bucks.

Attached Files

#3 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

That looks very heavy. What's it weigh?

#4 Pat at home

Pat at home

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

I have not weighed it but side by side with the OEM EQ6 tripod it's about the same and not any heavier than any of the heavy duty surveyor's tripods I have from when I was surveying.

#5 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

I use a Losmandy HD tripod and an Atlas adapter from Optical Supports, this combo is rock steady. The adapter, originally marketed for the classic Atlas, is a drop fit for the AZ model as well. Mine has carried a fully loaded TEC 140 and can easily handle my C11 Edge. Highly recommended...

Clear Skies,
Brian

Attached Files

#6 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

You could use the original EQ6 tripod and add a TPI Astro spreader and plate -

http://tpiastro.com/spreaders.htm

You could even go all-out and add the leg levelers as well.

#7 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Manuel,

Just so you know, the SKY tripod is currently not available. Berlebach has not found a replacement supplier for the carbon fiber portion of the tripod, so they have not been available for a while now. The PLANET would be fine for your application though. In addition, as suggested, you could simply add an after market spreader to the standard tripod to stiffen it up quite a bit.

#8 ManuelJ

ManuelJ

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Manuel,

Just so you know, the SKY tripod is currently not available. Berlebach has not found a replacement supplier for the carbon fiber portion of the tripod, so they have not been available for a while now. The PLANET would be fine for your application though. In addition, as suggested, you could simply add an after market spreader to the standard tripod to stiffen it up quite a bit.

Thanks Ed.

Tripod clearance in AZ mode can be another problem here. If I put a 6" refractor, it may hit the tripod legs.

#9 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

You can get the Atlas extension, it's cheap. The spreader, not so much...

Ed, I've got an old Celestron 1.75" leg tripod under my Mach1. Do I

1) get the TPI spreader for it, or

2) get a Losmandy FHD tripod

They would end up costing about the same, because the Losmandy tripod is local to me (just a pickup away). The downside is that the Losmandy tripod is huge, and has sharp edges to cut yourself on.

#10 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Manuel,

Thanks Ed.

Tripod clearance in AZ mode can be another problem here. If I put a 6" refractor, it may hit the tripod legs.

The Orion tripod extension should work for the mount and they only run about $80 here. I assume that you could get one for an EQ6 over there. That would work on the stock tripod or on another tripod with an EQ6 head like the Berlebach.

#11 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

You can get the Atlas extension, it's cheap. The spreader, not so much...

Ed, I've got an old Celestron 1.75" leg tripod under my Mach1. Do I

1) get the TPI spreader for it, or

2) get a Losmandy FHD tripod

They would end up costing about the same, because the Losmandy tripod is local to me (just a pickup away). The downside is that the Losmandy tripod is huge, and has sharp edges to cut yourself on.

None of the above? The TPI spreader would work, but it is not a great tripod to start with. The FHD is as you describe. For something like the Mach1 I would be very tempted to look for either a portable pier, or go with a Berlebach. No cheap options, but then a good mount deserves a good tripod I think. I was working with the Geoptik Hercules tripods at NEAF this last weekend, not cheap either, but very nice tripods.

#12 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

The Hercules is cheaper than a Berlebach Planet, much less a SKY. It is still rather spendy though. I am normally quite the cheapskate, the only reason I have the Mach1 is that She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named decreed that I buy it and shut up forever. Doesn't stop me from cheaping out on the tripod... :D

#13 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

The Hercules is cheaper than a Berlebach Planet, much less a SKY. It is still rather spendy though. I am normally quite the cheapskate, the only reason I have the Mach1 is that She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named decreed that I buy it and shut up forever. Doesn't stop me from cheaping out on the tripod... :D

:lol:

#14 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Realistically though.. if Rob Miller were taking orders, at the prices he was quoting, there would be far less of these threads.

But maybe he wasn't making enough money at those prices, hence...

#15 DuncanM

DuncanM

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for changing my EQ6-AZ GT tripod for the new gear that is coming. I know that it won't handle the 21-22 Kg of instrument I'm willing to put. So I would like to buy a tripod with the only comprimise in transportability.

My choices:

Berlebach Planet, double clamps: 550 Euros, 11 Kg and 140 capacity

Berlebach Sky: 1500 Euros, 9Kg and 140 capacity (anyone tried this?, don't want to pay 1000 Euro for 2 Kg)

8 Inch ATS portable pier: 2250 Euros, 12 Kg and 160 capacity

Do you have any recommendation, or something else from the list?

Regards,
Manuel.

There is nothing wrong with the stock tripod that can't be fixed with a better spreader plate. A simple plywood tray like this:
http://www.sfu.ca/~dmunro/tripod.JPG
transforms it, and makes it rock solid. The problem with the stock tripod is that the spreader is too small and too close to the top of the tripod. This allows the tripod to flex and gives the illusion that it is not steady enough.

#16 ManuelJ

ManuelJ

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:26 AM

I think the tripod extension would be too shaky for my like.

The spreader thing can be a solution, but I don't know if it will be enough for me.

#17 DuncanM

DuncanM

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

I think the tripod extension would be too shaky for my like.

The spreader thing can be a solution, but I don't know if it will be enough for me.

The 1/2 pier extension didn't work very well.

In my experience, once a tray is added to the stock tripod, the tripod becomes very solid, and there will be absolutely nothing gained by going to a heavier tripod or pier because then the equatorial head itself is the limiting factor. No tripod can change the limitations of the equatorial head.

I have experimented with tripods for the Eq-6 and nothing beats the stock tripod with a plywood spreader tray. Once the plywood tray is in place, and everything is tightened, the tripod becomes completely rigid.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics