No spring purchases for me

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 richardlowney

richardlowney

Lift Off

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

I guess I bought way to much astronomy stuff this winter and spring. This is this morning, after 18 inches Friday. New record for April, 50+ inches. Northern Wisconsin along Lake Superior.

Attached Files

#2 woolbrig

woolbrig

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bethalto, Illinois

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

Doh! It's warming up here, but still cloudy. Guess I shouldn't have ordered that guidescope...

#3 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

You haven't even reached "mud season" yet, but it's coming soon. Your post made me curious to look up the weather forecast for some town in the rough vicinity (Houghton, Mi because I once dated a girl who was from there)...winter storm today (6-10 inches) but it's forecast to be in the 60s by Sunday. All that melting snow will make a fine, muddy mess, perhaps a welcome one to put up with for a week to finally get to spring.

#4 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Currently a balmy 39°F and overcast here in New Jersey, up from 35° this morning. I suspect that there will be numerous intense heat waves later this spring and summer, to add to the overall hilarity.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes... :gve:

#5 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Only got to 80F today in San Antonio. :grin: However, a major cold front is coming through, and only predicted to reach 60 tomorrow.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Only got to 80F today in San Antonio. :grin: However, a major cold front is coming through, and only predicted to reach 60 tomorrow.

We'll check back in August and see how things are doing...

Jon

#7 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

How's the seeing up there in the summer? Many a time we'd be heading up to Cornucopia or Herbster and the temperature drop when we started down the hill toward the lake was amazing. I've not thought about it in relation to astronomy but it must cause some problems(?), or does Lake Superior have a steadying effect on seeing?

Pointless curiosity, but I thought I'd ask!

#8 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Yeah, it was 95F here in Phoenix, AZ yesterday.

Summers are brutal for astronomy as the very hot air is never still :( I have 2 camping trips up to the grand canyon in summer for the extra dark and cooler temps.

But of course in the winters most of the time it's not below 40F even in the middle of the night.

Always a compromise!

#9 richardlowney

richardlowney

Lift Off

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Herrointment,
The seeing here is as good as most places away from the lake in the summer and fall but we suffer from frustrating lake effect in the winter and spring. To much moisture coming off the lake creating low clouds. I live in a small town without much light pollution. I have 21.3 SQM readings out my back door. The best I've seen in this area is in the Apostle Islands where I've had readings of 21.6. In general the seeing is normally poor but every once in a while we get a treat. You have to be patient.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics