Unattended Telescope Security?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

Does anybody stealing eyepieces in the dark stop to check and see if they are engraved before pocketing the EP? That would amaze me.

Glad it's worked for you.

It's not dark...I have a red light in the shell for reading charts and the eps and engravings are easily seen.

The other advantage to engraving your eps is when you are trading eps around with other observers...it's easy to get confused at 3AM. This has happened a couple of times in the past. For some reason TV (or anyone else AFAIK) doesn't have serial numbers on their eps to identify one from other.

#52 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

I use a childs door alarm. put one half on a stake that is driven in the ground. and the other half mounted on the dolly the tripod sits on, move the tripod 1" and the alarm sounds... and they are LOUD!! runs off batterys!

#53 bluesteel

bluesteel

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

Really big mouse traps? :grin:
Observing in my backyard a couple of weeks ago, I was wondering why one of the many stray cats was being so nice and hanging out, not fearful of me at all...
20 minutes later, the fox family ran by!

What alerted me to something slightly off were the birds. Learn the alarm calls of them at night. They are all high pitch quick chirps. Birds have been the best indicator for me of something amiss when out in the wilderness. They WILL NOT chirp if somebody saunters into your camp sight lost, without motivation for malice or ill intent. If the person is sneaking and/or has ill intent, the alarms will sound.
Also works in the daytime, but differently. They will shut up completely if something with malice approaches.

#54 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Meet one text book sociopath in your life and you'll never look at trust and security the same way again. They charm, emote (pretend) schmooze and knock elbows with social deft and they'll rob you without so much as a pulse leap. There is no guilt no pangs of remorse, its damn near robotic. U til you've shaken hands and laughed with these charmers and seen the path of wreckage in their wake, you just won't truly believe it. Oh and through it all? They were letdown by society and everyone owes them.

Odds are not great that you will meet one and know it. But odds are high you've unknowingly knocked elbows and enjoyed their company. Really high. That they do t attend star parties is a little sanguine. And I can't see behaving like there's a socio under everyone's bed but some minor care with lock and key is a prudent measure - and I haven't even touched on kleptomania.

Prudence solves all here and its simple enough to take measures.

Pete

University Optics GEM. Stolen by a text book sociopath .

#55 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

so please stop with the "Don't worry your stuff will be fine" responses. If I was 100% certain my stuff would be fine, I wouldn't have asked for advice on securing it. Also, its a hell of a lot harder to steal a setup 24" dob then my 6" SCT that can be disassembled and thrown in the back of a car in less then 2 minutes.

Then pack it up and put it in your car.
The last star party I went to was at a state park with thousands of folks walking around, the second night it was cloud city and the few of us that imbibe, did, all night.
2:00p the next day I drove back over to the observing site to get my scope and gear....it was the only thing around!
Everyone else had packed up and left. My scope and gear was visible from the main road, alone, unprotected.
You will have something stolen at some point, and you will die, worth the worry?

#56 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

my 6" SCT that can be disassembled and thrown in the back of a car in less then 2 minutes.

I believe this answers your question on how to protect your equipment, if you are concerned that someone might steal or damage it. :shrug:

#57 SeattleStarGazer

SeattleStarGazer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

When I first started attending star parties, I always put my scope away each night, but I noticed that most people didn't. I talked with people and none of them had theft problems. Now I just put away my eyepieces and cover the scope and no problems for 7-8 years. Now I did hear that one of the vendors at a Star Party a couple years ago had an expensive eyepiece 'walk away', which is very disappointing.

#58 sgtcombs

sgtcombs

Explorer 1

• Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

AMEN BROTHER! Man, you said it all right there.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics