iOptron "AstroBoy" for PST?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'm looking at small computerized mounts to potentially use for mounting my PST for automated tracking, since using an equatorial mount with the PST tends to put the eyepiece at awkward angles.

I'm intrigued by the iOptron AstroBoy 60 setup.

http://www.ioptron.c...57582d3-fa73...

I have a really solid tripod I could attach the mount to. I'm wondering if anybody else has gone this route or used this setup. I could probably cannibalize the 60mm refractor for use as a guide scope somewhere down the line.

What do you think? Would this mount be passable as a dedicated PST mount, or would I be better off sticking with a manual altaz for now? I do a lot of solar outreach, so automatic tracking would be enormously useful for me.

#2 btb

btb

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast Indiana

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

I use a Meade DS 2000. A search on ebay can be fruitful.

#3 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

I'm asking for opinions on the Astroboy, not the DS. The reason I'm asking for opinions on it is that it's $80 cheaper and can be easily attached to my existing tripod. I hate the stamped metal tripod with the DS mount.

#4 btb

btb

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast Indiana

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Sorry

#5 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

It's okay, it's just that there's a tendency on these forums that whenever someone asks for opinions on a piece of equipment that somebody immediately derails it with discussion of another piece of equipment the original poster didn't ask about. Wanted to nip that in the bud right off the bat.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics