Celestron SLT for Vixen130SF?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Muleya

Muleya

Ranger 4

• Loc: Harrisonburg, VA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

I've been wanting to get a cheap, but decent tracking mount for my Vixen R130SF and have wondered if the Celestron SLT mount would work. I've never been able to find out the capacity, so I e-mailed Celestron to see if they thought it would work. They said their 130SF OTA weighs 7lbs, the Vixen is rated at 8lbs, they weren't sure if it would handle it or not. And when I weighed my Vixen OTA, it was actually closer to 8.5lbs.

The Vixen is my travel/camping scope, so I don't use it a lot and don't want to spend a lot on a mount, but at the same time, it's exactly those situations where I've got other folks lined up to look through the eyepiece, so it would be nice to not have to re-center the object every couple of minutes. But I'd prefer to keep my cost down to a couple hundred bucks, and I see used SLT mounts going in that range.

Anybody ever tried using an 8+lb scope on one of these mounts? Any thoughts on how well it would work?

I've heard some mention of the flimsy tripod...any idea on whether the PortaMount tripod could be used with the SLT mount? This is the original PortaMount, so the mount is not removable from the tripod like it is on the PortaMount II. Could it still be done fairly easily?

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts on the matter!

Thanks!

#2 labmand

labmand

Messenger

• Loc: Michigan USA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Hi Jonathan,
I believe the SLT is rated at 8 lbs.
I have tried a few scopes on my SLT mount
am still in the process. The Tasco 10te with it's lengh
is a little much but it handles the weight OK. I tried
my Celestron 102mm, long tube again my be a little much,
borderline at best. It handles my Jason 313, Nexstar 80mm.
I have read where others have had good success as long as
you pay attention to the balance.
Today I mounted my Meade 90mm short tube refractor,
will give it a try first clear night.
The tripod could be beefed up a little, but I like it for
now, I did do the mod to raise it by installing PVC pipe
between tripod base and mount. See Eric Zeiners post

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics