Photo

SKY & TELESCOPE POSTS ARTICLE ABOUT NEAF!!!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RAC-INC

RAC-INC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Sky and Telescope Magazine has posted a short article with comments and a video clip about NEAF 2013. Here is the link. Enjoy!!!

http://www.skyandtel...ho-Say-NEAF-...

Respectfully Yours,
RAC-INC BOD

#2 Dan56

Dan56

Sputnik

• Loc: Sheridan Wy

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thank You! Sure makes me want to go next year.

#3 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

That was a great video, now I see how much I missed at the show and I was there for two days!

#4 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

• Loc: Bedminster,NJ USA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

That's me dead center of the photo on the right in the article.

#5 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Waldo!

#6 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

That's me dead center of the photo on the right in the article.

Thomas,

I was looking for you but didn't see you this year :(

#7 GUNER

GUNER

Throw Me A Clue Here

• Loc: Bedminster,NJ USA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hey Helder. Looked for you also didn't think you made it till I saw your photo post.
Spent a lot of time helping out behind the scenes this year.

#8 rodney

rodney

Vendor - Explora Dome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Asbury, NJ

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Great video, showed how lacking the attendance really was. A catch 22 though, a banner year for us. But down from what we saw. Not nearly enough participation.

#9 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Its the economy.

Its also Hurricane Sandy. With any event a majority of the attendees are locals.

The tragic events in Boston may have hurt attendance.

Its the aging population in astronomy.

But just like last year, I saw a lot of CN folks who talk big in the forums but dont say a word in person. With a few exceptions like Helder, a fellow generous of spirit.

CLoudy Nights didnt have a booth this year, people blame Astronomics. But there were enough local CN folks in attendance to have made an informal event or get-together.
Where's the participation?

I enjoy Neaf and for the past 5 years have worked hard to make it a great event. Neaf is what you make it. Dont like somthing? Jump in and volunteer.

This had been a message from
The Committee for the Future of Neaf and Amateur Astronomy in General.

#10 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

Good point, it would have been nice to meet some of the people that we converse with on CN's. Hopefully they will be at the show next year and the booth can act as a meeting place. I have been to many other trade shows that you have to wear a badge with your name on it. It would be nice to have a color coded badge that shows you are a CN member:)

Bob

#11 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

CLoudy Nights didnt have a booth this year, people blame Astronomics. But there were enough local CN folks in attendance to have made an informal event or get-together.

We used to do that, in the years before Astronomics and CN formally appeared. I guess we got out of the habit and nobody thought of it this year.

#12 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

CLoudy Nights didnt have a booth this year, people blame Astronomics.

Since Cloudy Nights IS Astronomics, they are responsible for a booth. However, "blaming" Astronomics when other things in their lives prevented them from attending; is a little unfair. Life happens, and sometimes schedules & personal lives collide.

#13 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

I was at NEAF and had a great time, seriuously all, its a bunch of volunteers that put this together. I know I couldn't do better. Its not like there is a manual in how to run the show. The old organizer is gone and the new team took it over and I know they did a great job.

I will go again next year and really need to thank Rockland for putting the show together.

#14 RAC-INC

RAC-INC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

If attendence in the beginning of the video appears "Thin", it's because NO ONE WAS THERE YET! The show wasn't even open!
The first part of the video was filmed while vendors were setting up on Friday the previous day. NEAF wasn't even open yet!!!
You can tell because the loading door (garage type) is open!!! It was only open when vendors were setting up or breaking down, NEVER open during show hours...NEVER!

Respectfully Yours,
RAC-INC

#15 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I really don’t understand all of the ‘complaints’ about NEAF 2013. I’ve only missed the show twice since the first one, and I think that 2013 was great. I found everything but one item I wanted, and ended up buying several that I hadn’t planned on. It simply was a great trade show, with some superb presentations. There was a good selection of local Northeast clubs and public observatory presence and the solar viewing was fine – both days. Even the raffle was great, with thousands of dollars of stuff up for grabs.

Whatever the actual attendance, there were plenty of people both days, and I saw lots of them walking out with boxes and bags. Considering that the vendors had to drag all of that stuff there, set it up, etc, I found the selection of stuff for sale to be just fine. There were a bunch of major makers there showing product, and there were a goodly number of ‘store’ vendors. There were no surprises about who would, and would not, be there.

All I can say is: If you don’t like NEAF, don’t come. The rest of us will be there next year.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics