Photo

Really? You sell all this stuff and you're.......

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

I've purchased a couple of used astro items over the years. Most where good. I brought my Paramount ME on AM. It was not a face to face purchase. After I received the mount I quickly realized it had some internal wiring damage due to a rodent. The seller claimed it was OK before it was shipped, but covered the $100 repair cost.

#27 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

I've purchased a couple of used astro items over the years. Most where good. I brought my Paramount ME on AM. It was not a face to face purchase. After I received the mount I quickly realized it had some internal wiring damage due to a rodent. The seller claimed it was OK before it was shipped, but covered the $100 repair cost.

And did the seller say it was in 'excellent' condition? And did the seller have excellent ratings? Good that he took care of you though.

#28 Al8236

Al8236

Apollo

• Loc: 48.9173N 122.1390W

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

Then there is the other side... I sold a drive corrector once thhat on arrivial the buyer claimed that the transformer had come loose and damaged the casing.
I had never taken the corrector apart so I couldn't address weather it was loose or not. (Nothing rattled after packaging) When I asked for pictures and offered to make it right there were crickets...nothing! after a couple e-mails with no response I wrote it off to possibly some one trying to ??

#29 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Then there is the other side... I sold a drive corrector once thhat on arrivial the buyer claimed that the transformer had come loose and damaged the casing.
I had never taken the corrector apart so I couldn't address weather it was loose or not. (Nothing rattled after packaging) When I asked for pictures and offered to make it right there were crickets...nothing! after a couple e-mails with no response I wrote it off to possibly some one trying to ??

yep, you're right. A buyer once claimed it never showed up, and of course, it the one you ship w/o delivery confirmation. I gave them their money back.... But it was an interesting coincidence imho.... Never ship anything, no matter how inexpensive, w/o delivery confirmation or even signature proof with high value items. And you never know who rides around in neighborhoods looking to steal stuff off of people's doorsteps.

#30 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• Loc: Hixson, TN

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

I worry sometimes after I sell some of my used stuff. I'm a newbie and I try to baby my stuff, but just about everything I have, has a mark or a scratch on it. It just happens. I just sold some scopes that I bought over three years ago. They've seen plenty of dew and pollen, and I have reconfigured them many times. I didn't advertise them in excellent condition but great-good. But, I did ship them through the PO with insurance for more than the buyer paid. Packing is an art, especially when your strapped for cash and making due with what you have on hand. I don't want a bad review, and hope the buyers are satisfied, especially considering the money they paid, compared to new. I still worry. In this instance, I've never shipped big items through the PO and I worry.

#31 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

I worry sometimes after I sell some of my used stuff. I'm a newbie and I try to baby my stuff, but just about everything I have, has a mark or a scratch on it. It just happens. I just sold some scopes that I bought over three years ago. They've seen plenty of dew and pollen, and I have reconfigured them many times. I didn't advertise them in excellent condition but great-good. But, I did ship them through the PO with insurance for more than the buyer paid. Packing is an art, especially when your strapped for cash and making due with what you have on hand. I don't want a bad review, and hope the buyers are satisfied, especially considering the money they paid, compared to new. I still worry. In this instance, I've never shipped big items through the PO and I worry.

Consider taking pictures of the stuff before you pack it and as its in the packaging. Also, the test certificate on the box. Sometimes when you file a claim they want to see that to make sure you didn't ship it in a cereal box like flimsy box. Taking pictures is a bit of insurance for yourself and great backup, and with digital picture taking, its virtually zero cost, but pays big dividends if there's a problem.
Bob

#32 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Viking 1

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

I have a Unitron 510, a 5" F/16 field tripod version purchased in the early 80's.
At thousands of dollars, there needs a buyer next to me for changes in ownership, with the buyer's responsibilities a safe packaging and shipment.
As an old fellow in the aviation field, I understand how up close and personal an inspection will be and thus to assume the liability upon purchase and the aircraft's new owners safe return.
A unique item needs a personal inspection and in my mind, the new owner needs to take control at the moment of purchase.
Just like a home and automobile, plane or telescope.
My personal two cents,
Jim

#33 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

my solution is to never describe as great/mint condition. i always say good/well-used fully functional. but then i buy a lot more than i sell...

#34 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Only had one bad experience early on in my observing hobby. Bought a Coronado P.S.T. and found the lens had serious rust. This was my first solar scope and I didn't know about the problem prior to buying. Seller claimed he didn't know anything about it, and I suppose that's possible, but the seller was a very experienced astrophotographer with an observatory full of equipment and he unexpectedly threw in a TV Plossl (which it turns out had damaged coatings) which I interpreted as a "guilt" payment. I've always suspected he sold because the problem was becoming more well-known at the time and he wanted to get rid of it quick. Kind of soured my feelings about him whenever I see a post of his on CN. Still, I used the scope for many years and when I bought my Lunt a guy who worked at the local store asked about buying it. I told him about the problem, pointed him to a website that described it, with photos, and even suggested that for a first solar scope he might want to look for one without the problem. My price was so good he wanted to buy it anyway. Went for a fraction of the original cost but at least I treated him the way I wish I had been treated.
...Keith

#35 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

It's possible that the seller didn't visit the Solar Forum to become aware of the rust problem. However, he should have worked with you in order to give you allowance for the rust.

I've bought & sold used, and so far everyone I've dealt with have been honest and nice to deal with!

#36 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

It's possible that the seller didn't visit the Solar Forum to become aware of the rust problem.

However, the seller recommended that I join the Yahoo PST group and that I would get lots of useful info there. What are the odds that he hung out on that group and didn't know about the rust?
...Keith

#37 russell23

russell23

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

yep, you're right. A buyer once claimed it never showed up, and of course, it the one you ship w/o delivery confirmation. I gave them their money back.... But it was an interesting coincidence imho.... Never ship anything, no matter how inexpensive, w/o delivery confirmation or even signature proof with high value items. And you never know who rides around in neighborhoods looking to steal stuff off of people's doorsteps.

This can happen to anyone. When Vernonscope had the Brandon Apochromats made with Roland Christen lenses (94mm and 130mm) he had 100 130mm units made - lenses, lense cells, OTA's ... Don was telling me a while back that the buyer of one of his 130mm units called after it arrived and claimed that the scope did not have a lense in the OTA. Don assured him it did. The guy threatened to call S&T and the BBB. So Don sent him another lense as he didn't need his business threatened with false claims. As Don was telling me this story he reached down into a cabinet and pulled out a 130mm lense cell - engraved with the "Brandon 130mm Apochromat" or whatever it said. After the last of his 130mm lenses was assembled, he still had one cell left and no lense for it.

So someone out there has a home made 130mm RC APO from the late 80's early 90's with a lense that was aquired by lying and threatening the Vernonscope business.

Dave

#38 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

I've had good luck so far. I felt like the back and forth communications I had with the seller enabled me to trust. So far, I have not been disappointed.

#39 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

deal with someone who understands that the 3% is the cost of doing business and should be built into their price if they don't like it.

+1

Ooooh definitely makes my top ten list of pet peeves.

It's been a while since I researched it but the practice (openly charging the buyer the 3% PP fee) was actually illegal in most states and definitely a violation of the PayPal user agreement.

Irks me so much I won't even consider ads that have +3% in it. Even if I want what they're selling.

#40 bluesteel

bluesteel

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:13 AM

deal with someone who understands that the 3% is the cost of doing business and should be built into their price if they don't like it.

+1

Ooooh definitely makes my top ten list of pet peeves.

It's been a while since I researched it but the practice (openly charging the buyer the 3% PP fee) was actually illegal in most states and definitely a violation of the PayPal user agreement.

Irks me so much I won't even consider ads that have +3% in it. Even if I want what they're selling.

The main reason I live a cash only existance. I also can almost every time negotiate a cheaper price when paying cash. 3 percent of 1000 is 30... That's two meals at least both parties could save... And don't get me started with credit card companies that hold the seller hostage with eye opening fees and percentages of every purchase. When PayPal started trying to finagle my bank account information from me to be "verified" was when I stopped using them.

#41 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

and of course, the classic posting of commercial photos of the iem instead of spending 10 minutes taking pics and adding them to the ad. I won't even contact these guys.

#42 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Well, had another 'reseller' experience......won't get too detailed for obvious reasons, but was interested in a used telescope. Asked if they were the original owner, and no, he wasn't, not to mention they didn't even know how old it was. The seller said that there were no problems with it, yet it obvious by other answers that he never had looked through it. Answers were terse and condescending. (you know, he had all this 'experience'.) Well, that was the end of that. The next week it ended up on eBay and sold for less than original posting. There you found hundreds of feedback on sales of all kinds of equipment and telescopes. Way more than even the most aggressive amateur would ever buy it, try it, not like it and re sell it. So keep this in mind you buyers of used 'stuff' out there..... I wonder how many telescopes, especially the bad ones, circulate through our community? A good reason to buy new, especially from our sponsor.
Regards
SB

#43 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

Bob, good point on scoping out your sellers breadth of sale items. I avoid those 'sell everything under the sun' guys if i'm interested in high-end specific items.

#44 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

If I am spending a decent amount of money on a used item over the Internet, I won't purchase unless the person will give me their phone number so I can contact them and discuss the item.
A few minutes on the phone with them will give you an idea if they are astronomers or not. You also have to learn to ask the right questions about the item you are purchasing.

#45 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mill Creek, Washington

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

I have bought a number of items used over the years and have always had a good experiences. But if it's expensive I ask for a phone number and street address. I also ask for pictures if not posted in their ad. I call them and discuss the condition of the item and I look up their address to make sure it exist. Now days I try to by new when I can. If it's not right or damaged in shipping I can return it with no problems.

I have bought 3 used eyepieces in the last couple of months and they were all as good or better than described. I don't sell my equipment very often. So I don't have a lot of ratings on the for sale sites but I always tell folks to email me for my phone number. I always put good photos in my ads if needed.

#46 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

If I am spending a decent amount of money on a used item over the Internet, I won't purchase unless the person will give me their phone number so I can contact them and discuss the item.
A few minutes on the phone with them will give you an idea if they are astronomers or not. You also have to learn to ask the right questions about the item you are purchasing.

You know in this electronic communication world, one often forgets basic common sense about getting a tel # and discussion it, while gauging the seller's responses.....

I recently saw a ad for a 6" Celestron C6-R with mount here. It had the stock photo. And stock description. Then saw it was posted and 'sold' a week before. Then reposted. I then noted that the seller was only registered 3 weeks before on CN, and that he hadn't posted a thing. Also it was a very good price. All typical warning signs....

#47 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

So far most of my used stuff has been bought locally from the scope shop or individuals; I have bought a few eyepieces from the CN classifieds and had excellent results...of course, I check the person's ratings first, unless they're already known to me. I just don't use astromart, amazon, or ebay. In fact, the only thing I've ordered thru amazon is some printer cartridges. Haven't even visited ebay or astromart.....

#48 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'm sorry you had some issues with things and I wish I could say it never happened, but the best I can say is it has only happened to me once and I was easily able to make things right with the buyer. I have been buying and selling astro gear for a few years. Why? Because I have changed my mind a couple of times .... and I have made a few mistakes. :)

I didn't try binoviewers once - I tried three times. Buying and selling pairs of eyepieces is a PITA.

I also suffered from a very bad back and several times I bought a scope I wanted and loved - only to learn the hard way that it was too big or too heavy for me to use. --- I won't say I'm going through that again, but my current XT12 (as wonderful as it is) might be just an inch too big. :p

I have a good rating here on CN and over on A-mart. I would rather give the stuff away than be accused of cheating someone. I have also met some great people and made a few life-long friends through our mutual wheeling and dealing.

Cheers,

Ron

#49 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

I'm sorry you had some issues with things and I wish I could say it never happened, but the best I can say is it has only happened to me once and I was easily able to make things right with the buyer. I have been buying and selling astro gear for a few years. Why? Because I have changed my mind a couple of times .... and I have made a few mistakes. :)

I didn't try binoviewers once - I tried three times. Buying and selling pairs of eyepieces is a PITA.

I also suffered from a very bad back and several times I bought a scope I wanted and loved - only to learn the hard way that it was too big or too heavy for me to use. --- I won't say I'm going through that again, but my current XT12 (as wonderful as it is) might be just an inch too big. :p

I have a good rating here on CN and over on A-mart. I would rather give the stuff away than be accused of cheating someone. I have also met some great people and made a few life-long friends through our mutual wheeling and dealing.

Cheers,

Ron

Yeah, I agree. After being out of the hobby since around 1973 I got back into it, and learned the hard way about buying stuff, especially EPs, that was just wrong. Most of the items I've sold on Ebay, since it usually sells at market conditiions...sometimes you lose and sometimes you win. The only time I got a negative was from a guy who bought a used road bike tire for $2 and then said it wasn't the right tire, which was totally wrong of course, but that negative stayed with me for a year, and eBay wouldn't remove it, even though you could see the name of the tire in the picture.
Then, as another poster said, are the buyers who say they didn't get something, no matter how small valued it is. I never send anything out any more after 2X that happening to me on eBay. And like you said, one time I just said keep it and I'll send your money back when I felt I was being bamboozled. Oh well.
Then its been the descriptions on / of some commercial sellers too which have be much better than what the product performs (no color in triplets, for example) or just wrong descriptions of the product, like diagonal prisms vs mirrors. Its a chore making sure the electronic catalog descriptions are correct and up to date. Its always 'fun' calling a live person and having them get back to you after they physically check the item in the box vs on the description as to reality. :question: But then again, I spend WAY too much time on these forums....
Good luck
Bob

#50 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

That's one reason that I like to buy and sell used items locally.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics