Photo

Anyone Using the Lodestar Guider Software?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

I'm talking about the software that came with the camera. If so, how is it working for you? Are you getting good guiding results?

Thanks,

Patrick

#2 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Anybody??

Let's talk. :grin:

Patrick

#3 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

I have it, but as of yet I have been prevented from actually using the camera. From what I understand, if you are running PHD (which I do) you do not need the Lodestar software at all. PHD will recognize the camera under "svx." If you are using the camera independently, then I don't know, although the software looks impressive. (After all, a camera is a camera and I suppose you can image with this as well.)
Michael

#4 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

From what I understand, if you are running PHD (which I do) you do not need the Lodestar software at all.

Yes, I've used it quite a few times with PHD Guiding with a serial cable plugged into the hand controller on my CGEM mount. No issues there.

The issue I have is that I need to get it working with the ST-4 port because I'm upgrading my mount control with a Skyfi controller that also plugs into the same port on the hand controller. I can't use the same plug for both.

Tonight I successfully tested the camera to mount connection using the ST-4 port. The documentation for the software tells you what settings to use, but it took some time slogging through it.

I'm looking forward to using it under the stars to take it through it's paces.

Patrick

#5 andysea

andysea

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Patrick I am not sure if you have solved your problem, however I use PHD with the Lodestad and the ST-4 port on on my mount. All you have to do is select the "On camera" option in PHD under the mount menu. If that's not what you were trying to do then forgive me if I have misunderstood your question.

Andy

#6 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

I would say that the software provided with the SX hardware is just for testing to make sure all your stuff works. I don't know anyone how solely relies on the stock SX software. Everyone I know is using 3rd party software.

#7 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

I use PHD with the Lodestad and the ST-4 port on on my mount. All you have to do is select the "On camera" option in PHD under the mount menu.

Excellent! Thank-you. I had forgotten about that option. I think I had tried doing that last year, but maybe had something setup wrong because I went back to the hand controller connection to get PHD working. It's encouraging to know that you're using it successfully in that mode.

My preference would be to use PHD Guiding because I'm more familiar with it.

Patrick

#8 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

Everyone I know is using 3rd party software.

What are you and your friends using?

I do think the Lodestar software is more than just for testing though. It may be a little spartan, but I think it should work for guiding. If on-camera on PHD Guiding works though that would be my first choice.

Thanks much,

Patrick

#9 bretm

bretm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

I think most people end up using either Maxim or PHD.

Bret

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics